What travel documents do I need before I travel?

If I were travelling and that's not orften these days, going abroad I would have my passport, isn't that enough? If I'd already booked my hotel then I would have that evidence in writing.

That depends on where you're from and where you want to go. It can also depend on when you want to travel, how long you intend to stay and why you're traveling. If you're a US citizen and want to fly domestically within the US, you need a valid ID right now. If you want to fly to a foreign country, you need a passport as a minimum. For some countries that's all you need if you are going as a tourist for less than 90 days. To work or study or for longer stays, you also need a Visa. European rules are changing to require a visa all the time in the future. You can check requirements for a specific country on the State Department website.