31 AND JOBLESS, female. HELP ME?

How should I move forward with my life? Two degrees (Philosophy & English lit+rhetoric yet no job). I went back to school in 2016 two years after finishing my Philosophy degree to do an English degree. My GPA in my first degree wasn't great and I wanted to apply to grad school in Public Policy. I finished by English degree in Dec 2018, applied to 3 graduate schools in PP but unfortunately for me I didn't get into any of them. In hindsight going back for this second degree was a costly mistake: took me two yrs to finish, I'm in so much student loan debt now, and I haven't been able to find a job. I've applied to 70+ jobs (mostly writing and editing jobs, some entry-level and minimum wage jobs) and I've had zero callbacks and emails. I'm 31 and have been out of work for so long that idk what to do now. I've even applied to Walmart and other jobs I don't need a degree for and nothing. I feel like I've been blacklisted because there was one blog writing job (paid) I applied to a few months ago and in less than 45mins the woman who owned the job e-mailed me that I wasn't being offered the position.

Set up go fund me account meanwhile,

Keep looking, don’t give up

Maybe a teaching certificate? Tutoring centers. Substitute teaching. A nanny. A bartender. Those are just some ideas for now since jobs in things like journalism can be hard to get.

If you need a job now, list half of your qualifications. Otherwise you are "overqualified " for the little jobs. Based upon your degrees I would apply as a temp to a college or university. Start volunteering because you need Something on you're resume besides school. What else have you done with your life? What skills do you have for employers? It's not about what you need it's about what They need. Also, make some connections LinkedIn's a good start. Job fairs? Headhunters?

• B

Go to indeed.com and seek out jobs like administrative. It sounds to me like you need to try the administrative world or look at positions with colleges and other educational institutions through higheredjobs.com.

I'm in the same situation as you - 31 year old female who is studying at uni with a small work history. Have you tried Gumtree or Craiglist? If you advertise yourself as a job seeker on those sites, you'll get less computerised, more personal job offers by employers. That's how I found my first two paying jobs last year. You can also try looking on Facebook.

You have fallen to the lies about get a degree and you will guarantee you a good job. You are way over focused on your education and degree as the answer to problems. If you do not get over that no one will hire you.

One big issue I see is your telling the wallmart people about your degrees… STOP THAT

No one wants to hire someone take a year or two to train you only for you to complain it does not pay enough and look for another job. It is expensive to train people and no employer can afford to waste that kind of money.

First say out loud; I made mistakes,, list them and focus on the new days not the wasted days.

Your so called over qualified is not means you have lots of usable knowledge but that you are not wanting a long term job at the low pay employers.

There are places that only interview people with college degree, they do not care in what they just use that to shorten the field of interviews. An example but not the only one. Insurance adjusters it pays well and lots of jobs available.. it is stressful and hard work. But there are tons of jobs like that.

But until you get over yourself pity party, no one will hire you. Your attitude comes out over the internet; it for sure comes across in person.

I say take that the 14/hr job and gets some real world experience. And do not whine about the pay. Your debt does not determine what your productivity worth is.

College has damaged your reality mode and use of being introverted is more of the same nonsense.

You dug quite a hole for you and if you insist on looking for magic answer it will only get worse. School taught you nothing about finances,, taking out loans to get a education for jobs before checking the actual validity and pay shows bad judgment. I would worry about your judgment if you worked for me. I call this the grandma syndrome, she says it is a great job and that was all you heard.

Do not tell anyone about your bad luck and talk about the weather or knitting or whatever but do not whine to the world it is self destructive.

Now practice your magazine smile and remember -- IT'S shows time.

----------------

May I suggest a Dave Ramsey class

• Judy

Unfortunately, a bachelors in philosophy and in English is very unlikely to get you a job. Focus on applying for jobs that don't require a degree. If you're 31 with no work history, sorry but will be very hard to find one.

Some fields are saturated. Did you look into that before you took the courses? When fields are saturated, employers would hire the students with the highest grades. The rest - too bad. Have you looked into teaching?

• Eva

Try a teaching or substitute teaching position. Even though your degree isn't in education, the English degree may get you in. Consider a consultation with a professional resume writer or head hunter.

• Tavy

Looking at those degrees here in the U.K. they are useless to employers.

Have you been to a Recruiter to help you find work, it is what we do here.