Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 6 months ago

Scared of vaccines ?

I’m getting the HPV and meningitis vaccine in a few days. I’m not only scared of the pain, but fainting. This is my second dose of HPV and I didn’t faint or get dizzy the first time, but with how nervous I am I may just. What can I do to prevent myself from fainting after this vaccine? I heard drinking caffeine before is good so my blood pressure doesn’t drop. I’ve also heard of people dying weeks or months after the vaccine, is this true? I’m so scared of the pain. Which hurts more, the meningitis one or the HPV? It’s been years since I’ve had shots.

• don r

Relax and don't tense up the muscle. That way you'll barely feel the shot. That Filipina nurse, One Shot Mary, can give you a shot and you're still waiting for it to happen she's so gentle. If Bruno is your nurse he'll stab you like a back alley mugger and if he bends the needle he'll stab you again with another one and hurt you every time guaranteed.

Look away while they are doing it

Talk to the person giving the shot and don't watch it look away if scared of faiting ask to lay down if cant talk,,, then think of things that make you feel great like a puppy a hot car a movie that made you laugh so hard you almost wet your britches by the time you start the thought you will be done and ready to go about your day.

Source(s): nurse
  • Edna

You've already had one shot for those 2 conditions, and you didn't suffer any ill effects afterward. Why are you nervous about getting the 2nd shot? It'll be no worse than the first one.

Ask to lie down, then watch something on your phone, It really lasts about a second

• Stoo

It's a damn sight better getting the vaccine than actually getting HPV or meningitis. HPV can lead to various cancers, and meningitis can kill you within hours.

• Kyle

tell the nurse or medical assistant performing the shots when you get there. if it's that bad of an anxiety, they might have alternatives or help you give something to relax.

if it's that bad, have someone drive you there as a precaution.

it's not uncommon to be nervous getting shots. i get them every year for normal checkups, flu shots and such, but still get nervous. it's more just the anticipation and waiting for it than the actual shot is what makes me nervous. and afterwards i'm always fine. the nurse will always talk to me before hand to help take my mind off it and think about something else.

i would not drink coffee. just water. but you can always call ahead the day or two before and ask if you need to prep for anything.

Fainting is actually good for you.