promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Kevin asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 12 months ago

What's so special about the beyond meat burger? Do people not realize veggie burgers have been around for decades?

Yves has had a meat-lioe burger for years. I prefer it over beyond.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

Beyond is non GMO for starters and is a much more improved product.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 12 months ago

The reason that there's a demand for a plant-based "burger" is due to its lower impact on the environment. People don't seem to realize how much water and energy cattle ranches use or the amount of emissions they give off. In comparison, the production of Beyond Burgers cuts water use by 99%, cuts energy use by almost half, and cuts greenhouse gas emissions by 90%.

As for the taste... It's definitely more meaty-tasting and has a better mouth-feel than an old-fashioned veggie burger. That's probably due to the salt and fat content which are similar or higher than real beef patties. However, it has benefits such as lower cholesterol and higher fibre.

Anyway, I think that people should try the Beyond meat (there's also plant-based chicken) at least once before making a judgement. Personally, I prefer real beef and will choose it over Beyond meat every time. But, I can see why it's popular with people who are worried about the environment or animal welfare.

Note: I grew up on a ranch. It's a great lifestyle, but even I'll admit that it's not really as natural as most people think it is.

• ...Show all comments
    • Erica A
      Lv 5
      11 months agoReport

However, as I said in my original comment, I think the idea of a lab-grown burger is kind of strange, so I still prefer plain old beef. It's part of my heritage, so it's not likely something that I'd ever switch away from.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

It tastes more like meat apparently?

• Jeff H
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

Just the newest fad in my personal opinion since non-meat burgers have been around for many years, I have occasionally eaten them and even had a few favorites back when I was younger. The claim is that this looks more like real meat both in taste, texture and appearance which always struck me as funny. If you are against eating meat why do you want to purchase a product that reminds you of it in virtually every way. It seems to suggest that the individual has a deep seated desire for meat and this is one way of fighting it off.

Since I wrote my initial answer I did a bit of research and found one study that compared it to the Burger King Whopper patty. What they found was interesting as, with the exception of cholesterol where the Beyond Meat patty had none, they were either equal or, in the case of sodium and a couple of other areas, the Beyond Meat patty was actually higher and therefore less healthy for people who need to reduce salt in their diet.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • polly
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

They're promoting it as being healthier than meat even though it's got 5 times the amount of sodium when compared to a 85% lean beef burger.

Beyond meat burgers also contain 22 grams of fat & only contain 20 grams of protein,whereas as a lean beef burger contains 30 grams of protein.

If you're into vegetarian burgers & you're adamant that you're not going to eat real meat, you're better off making your own veggie burgers from scratch,that way you avoid all the sodium,fat & preservatives that the commercial plant based burgers like beyond meat put in theirs

• ...Show all comments
    • polly
      Lv 7
      12 months agoReport

At 980 calories for the Baconator alone might be reason enough to only have one of those burgers every so often DJ.
      We don't have Wendy's here in my country but Burger king came up with a burger called a bacon king that I wouldn't mind trying one day

• Todd
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

It's branding. The best veggie burger is at my favorite restaurant here :)

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

Have been making vegan based burgers for some time. Making your own takes some time. It's good that they are now available as I don't always feel like cooking every day of my life. I've had them, they're okay.

• Lv 4
      11 months agoReport

does your recipe have a huge ingredient list? and does it taste like beans!! i already eat a lot of beans so i don't want a bean burger. i'm not vegetarian but try to eat more plants than meat.

• 12 months ago

Its hyped up as being a realist burger. That is it bleeds like meat. Most people don t buy meat because it bleeds. They buy it because it either tastes good or as a source of protein.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

I doubt there's anything special about veggie burgers. I've never tried one, and I'm not interested in trying one. I only eat real hamburgers made out of beef. And I also like real bacon (made out of pork) and real American cheese (made from cow's milk) added to my burgers.

I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian. Not going to be one. I'm going to be a meat eater for the rest of my life. And nothing is going to change that. It's my decision.

• Kevin12 months agoReport

Ok. This has nothing to do with the question

• 12 months ago

No I don't think they do realise that.

And it's not the first time the marketing juggernauts have picked up an old old idea and hyped it up out of all proportion.

And yeah, almost always the original was far better than the over-salted, over-suggared "new improved" version.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.