? asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 6 months ago

Did the US attack Japan in 1853 to force it to trade?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Yes. Matthew Perry sailed his steamboats up and down the coast until the Japanese agreed to play baseball with him and after that the US and Japan traded for a few years, until WWII began as a result of the Meiji abolition of the Samurai who no longer had jobs and had to go to war to make money from conquering other countries like China, Korea, and Australia. Not a man today does not speak Japanese in Australia because of this.

• Toruko
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Yes, The islands were drenched with more blood than usual from cuts and accidental slices.

Tell me that the calm stoics can't be startled by people that won't be quietly killed like prior

shipwrecked sailors..

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I never heard about that I should look it up but I know they attacked many other Asian countries through out the past for no reason then to push their way of life onto them.

• 6 months ago

No attack i think

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

No, the US did not attack Japan. But Commodore Perry came to Japan and pressured her to open its country.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No, there was no attack. U.S. Commodore Perry arrived in Japan on a Navy ship, because obviously what else is he going to take to cross the Pacific, a sailboat? Some people like to paint the narrative that it was threatening and a scare tactic, but that is not exactly accurate. It was an implied threat, not a direct one. The reason why Japan was so compliant and subsequently tried to become westernized was because they saw what happened to the rest of Asia and knew they were next. China and India were always seen as the large powers in Asia, and Japan thought their only hope of survival after hearing the news that they were invaded was to learn to use western guns, weapons, ships, factories, technology, etc. And that combined with their hostile pre-existing culture is what led to so many atrocities and deaths by Japan in WWll

• 6 months ago

Have you watched The Last Samurai?

• KaleyK
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

There was no attack ... no shots were fired. Admiral Perry successfully delivered a communication from the President of the United States without any use of force. There were threats of force, and shows of force, but again, no shots were fired in anger.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.