In 1947 an USA Air Force plane flew from America to Europe completely by autopilot. There were no computers at the time. How was it done?

The plane took off from America, flew over the ocean, arrived in Europe and landed on a British airport completely under control of the automatic pilot. No man interfered; the autopilot took all the decisions and did everything by itself. I would have thought this impossible without a computer AI to control the... show more The plane took off from America, flew over the ocean, arrived in Europe and landed on a British airport completely under control of the automatic pilot. No man interfered; the autopilot took all the decisions and did everything by itself. I would have thought this impossible without a computer AI to control the plane. Anyone can explain how did that autopilot work?