Why is it that boxes of new shoes always have paper wrapped all the way around the shoes?

I like to go running three times a week and a podiatrist told me to get new running shoes every 250 miles I run, so I buy new running shoes often. Every pair of running shoes I buy has paper wadded up inside the shoe and paper wrapped all the way around the shoes. I'm all about conservation and preserving the... show more I like to go running three times a week and a podiatrist told me to get new running shoes every 250 miles I run, so I buy new running shoes often. Every pair of running shoes I buy has paper wadded up inside the shoe and paper wrapped all the way around the shoes. I'm all about conservation and preserving the environment, so that just seems like a waste of paper to me. Why do shoe companies waste paper this way?