jakob asked in HealthMental Health · 1 year ago

My friend recently told me that she cuts herself. I talked to her and it is clear that she doesn’t want to feel like she has a severe proble?

I tried to convince her to talk to someone but she knows that many people who claim to be confidential actually will tell your parents. I want to know of any less extreme way to help confidentially( preferably not self harm hotline) and how to convince her to talk to someone about it

• Lili
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

The problem is that if she's a minor, then seeing a counselor or therapist will require that her parents be informed. Up to a point, at least, the therapist could not report the content of their sessions, but the parents would have to know in the first place so that she could get started on therapy.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do here beyond continuing to encourage her to seek help, but she won't do it until and unless she wants to. You can't make her do it.

You might try to encourage her to talk about why she's cutting herself. What are the sources of her anxiety and what might be better ways to deal with them? You could, for example, suggest that the two of you engage in regular exercise together. It's a proven help with anxiety issues.

But she really needs professional therapy.

• jakob1 year agoReport

thank you

• 1 year ago

Her parents are responsible for her health and well-being and they are the ones who need to know. Of course, the girl can continue cutting herself and eventually end up with a blood disorder or cellulitus (which is caused by cutting and arms and legs just swell right up like ballooons)

• 1 year ago

She should stop watching stupid movies.

If you will not inform her parents then you are a bad friend.

Source(s): I am a Pro
  • justin
    1 year ago

il listent o her and try to help. i have no way of knowing her parents so i can't tell on her. have her send me a mesage facebook camaro codybattery, my kik is gerberstuffbabies my email camaro33125cody@gmail.com or usa my text now number is 717 516 0310.

• 1 year ago

Such action is a symptom of some inner needs. For a number of people, it is a phase in their lives. Often they recover when they have found good friends who understand them and refocus the person's attention to some other better ways of dealing with his/her issues.