aspen asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 6 months ago

I (USA citizen) have an overnight layover for less than 24 hours in Tokyo, do I need a Japanese visa?

I should have specified I am planning on leaving the airport and seeing the city and spending the night in a hotel in the city

Get a pod in the airport and you wont need one

No you do not need visa.

No. You can stay on a permission.

No. An American can stay in Japan without a visa for up to 90 days .

As said, no you do not need a visa - you get a landing permit. But you are entering Japan, like any tourist visitor. You didn't specify which airport you are using, but getting from/to Narita is farther away (though with the faster options, like the Keisei Skyliner, not necessary more time consuming).

The cheapest way is the 1000 yen Access Narita bus.

http://accessnarita.jp/en/home/

The fastest is the Keisei Skyliner, but it only goes to the city's east side - Ueno and Nippori. There is also the Narita Express.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/

And you can use their round trip ticket for 4000 yen.

The orange limousine bus is the most expensive.

There are banks at the airport or use your ATM card at a Japanese 7-11 ATM or post office. Make sure you notify your bank before departure so they don 't suddenly freeze your account.

You don’t need visa.

24 hrs is a short but fun layover, the only problem is which airport you’re arriving to. Narita is far away from the city compared to Haneda. Also HND airport have direct trains, NRT transportation is not that great or fast. Also you may spend a good 1 hour going through costumes. So plan very well that 1 or 2 places you really want to visit.

LEAVING the airport requires a Customs inspection.

Allow fours hours from Airport landing to bed.

To catch next flight allow 5 hours from bed to plane seat.

You do have a few hours to explore not that long. You will most likely sleep when you arrive an Unknown amount of time. Explore with time in mind. Make sure you know how to return to Airport in time to catch next flight.

Japan decides if you can leave Airport. It is a little more than waving your passport. Most pass with no issue.

Japanese immigration officers may deny you entry if you appear to have no visible means of support.

You do not NEED a VISA.

Suggest you have some Japanese currency with you to cover your first few hours.

Depending how much you sleep you will have 5-10 hours to explore.

The city is very large. A Hotel closer to the Airport time wise a good idea.

May want to consider leaving some of your luggage in storage at the Airport instead of dragging it along on your adventure.

• Toruko

I did not while having paid passage scheduled elsewhere within 24 hours.

My exit from aircraft was to respect US Labor laws that stated after

12 hours of employment travel I had to be given a bed for 8 hours of rest.

With supper and breakfast before continued travel began. Which I did on

6 Trans-Pacific crossings. The far right politics may have changed US

Labor laws. Japan today is politcally different than the one I last visited.

• solo

No, unless you want to leave the customs side of the airport