My roommate doesn't want my pride flag hung up in our place?

I went to Pride the other day and they were giving out free flags. I wanted to hang it up in my place but my roommate doesn't like it and she's afraid of what her friends might think when she has them over. Should I put it up anyway?

Best Answer

I would, if she doesn't like it then she can leave.

• ****

Put it up in your own room. That seems fair enough.

I would! Your roommate can just tell her friends that it's your flag, so her fears really are bizarre. Sounds like she just doesn't want to look at it herself, but you're her roommate, so she has no choice.

put it in your room, if you share a bedroom, divide it in half and you each get to decorate your half your way

Roommates ought to come to some consensus about decor in the common spaces.

Things like politics and religion tend to divide people rather than bring them together (unless you both agree, which apparently you don't).

Perhaps you could both agree that decor that denotes a particular political point of view should exist in your private spaces, not in your common spaces.

Then again, if you both agree that political messages are A-OK, then you can hang your Pride flag and she can hang her MAGA flag and then you can add a Stop Factory Farming flag and she can add a Don't Murder the Babies flag and on and on...

• I would like to hang up something that I got and not have to hide it away. She won't compromise. She gets to have whatever decor she wants in our living space but I can't have mine?

i would

Hang it up in your own room. I support LGBT rights but it doesn't necessarily help to force the flag-waving on people.

• megalomaniac

You don't seem to get the concept of symbolism there Mr. yellow snow. It's not simply a matter of decoration. Yes, a swastika is a bit more extreme but sometimes using a strong example helps to illustrate a concept.

• Sandy

hang it up in your room. if you don't have one, then unless there's a consensus for the flag, don't put it up.

• So she gets to put her decorations anywhere she wants in our house buy I can't put up mine?