Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 6 months ago

Why do seniors sign up for in-home care, just to have the CNA cleaning their house the whole shift?

But not actually providing any of the personal/hands-on care they were actually trained to do (bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting, incontinence care, etc.)?

I even have one client that is like this and even brags to her friends on the phone about "having a caregiver that she makes work hard and earn her paycheck".

Why do they do this instead of just hiring a maid if all they want is someone to clean their house because they just don't want to do it themselves?

Favorite Answer

if medicaid/medicare/insurance is paying for it, it is fraud

light housework is part of the job, but if no medical/health care is needed, its fraud

• Edna

My mother had a housekeeper who came 5 days a week. She did light housework & prepared a meal my mother could eat later in the day. She didn't dispense any medication & she wasn't a care-giver. There was no fraud involved. Medicare know about it; Medicare approved it; & Medicare paid her salary.

This is one example, I would love to be able to afford to have someone come in twice a month and clean up. I don;t really need a "caregiver" but I couldn't afford one even if I did need one.

• P.L.

If a carer comes to your home and cleans then it must be reported. You can hire a friend or a neighbour to clean - possibly for a lower fee. Carers have rules to follow and can be checked by the authority who sent them. Don't pay caring charges for a cleaner, they are two totally different roles and neither should be doing the job of the other. Report what is going on and ensure that you get what you pay for from now on.

• Rita6 months agoReport

My late mother had a carer 4 times a day. One of them she liked and trusted more than most of the others and she hired her privately to do her cleaning also for a fee lower than the care fees were. The worker was happy because she did not receive the whole fee for the care anyway.

Its probably a catch22 type situation. And it's hard to draw an imaginary line between house cleaning and patient care in most cases. It should be up a trained service provider as to what the standard operational procedure should and should not be in each individual case. I assume no medically trained person would want to be a house maid.

• Anna E

Because medicaid, medicare or insurance pays for in home health care, but not maids. In this case, the CNA or home health worker should refuse to do cleaning unless it is considered part of their job.

• A Hunch

Medicaid, medicare, and health insurance do not pay for any home health care except for specific patient care. Long term care insurance will provide home health aide benefits. And social services might provides some benefits.

1. Would you want some stranger touching your naked body? Probably not, old folks don't either.

2. Medicaid/Medicare covers a CNA, not a maid.

3. Home cleaning is a matter of health and illness. If they can't clean their house then it'll become disgusting and they're likely to go in and out of hospitals a lot more often. You may not feel like it, but by organizing their home you're actually saving their life.

• RE

In California, Medicaid provides in-home supportive services for those who need them. Caregivers are free to accept or refuse whatever needed services the clients request. These could range from transportation to light housecleaning to medication supervision to personal care like bathing.

The job of the in-home care staff is to help the individual maintain the home and provide medical assistance.

- The job covers everything from bathing & dressing the individual to cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, making meals, etc.

- each situation will be different, based on the level of care needed by the individual.

Most in-home care is not provided by CNAs; it usually done by home health aids.

I have no idea why you are upset with this statement? "having a caregiver that she makes work hard and earn her paycheck"

- do you expect to sit around and watch tv?