Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 10 months ago

We chose the name Olivia Jane for our little one who is soon to arrive WDYT?

Mother In Law is upset b/c she wanted to have a say. My husband made it clear in no uncertain terms that the only people who is in the decision making process of naming our child and any future children will be he and I. So now she hates anything we pick. My husband says he doesn't care what she thinks. I don't either but is the name too plain??? We want something traditional and solid but feminine and pretty. So that's what we came up with. What do you think?

Favorite Answer

Your Mother in law had her own chance to choose the name she wanted for her son.... your husband. Therefore, she is not entitled to have a say. If she is upset, sadly it is the case of tough, this is your precious child and the decisions should be between you and your husband only.

Olivia Jane is a beautiful name. Old names true but most of the names on the planet are anyway. I don't find this too plain at all. She will be a lucky girl to have such thought put in to her name and to bear such a lovely name also.

• GEEGEE

it's lovely! Both names are classic and are wonderful together. Your MIL had her chance to pick names when she had her own children. Very likely she would have objected long and loud if her MIL had tried to impose her opinion. Ignore her and go with your heart.

• Marie

Olivia is gorgeous !! I love it Jane is too plain and too common to me. But the name flows and if you like it, keep it.

sounds like Olivia Jade...

While its not a name that I particularly like like, it is a perfectly acceptable name. But do you realize her initials will be OJ? My mind goes straight to orange juice followed by OJ Simpson. Just something to think about.

Now, your MIL. I don't know where she gets the idea that she has ANY say whatsoever. I remember my sister bouncing off name ideas to my mother and I and we would give our take on the names, but left the decision up to her. As is naming your daughter is ultimately you and hubby's choice.

She has no right to interfere with the naming of YOUR child. (Unless you were going to name her Watermelon or some such nonsense.). Grandma needs to back off. She didn't help making them, she has no rights to the child(ren), you don't even have to allow her access to your offspring.

My own grandma (the only one I've known) is technically my step grandma. She doesn't get sat in the grandparent's row at weddings anymore. She has done nothing to merit being a grandparent. It is an earned title, IMO. And MIL is not off to a good start.

(Though I do confess, I'm interested in what she'd come up with.)

Olivia Jane is a pretty name. When the baby gets here, all the drama will dissolve and mother-in-law won't care what she's named.

I like that name. Its classy. But i agree you should have kept it private untill she is born.

I don’t like the name; but, I don’t have to. It’s your daughter.

I think you should have just kept it private until the sweet little girl arrived and then no one would be worrying about what name you picked.

Olivia Jane is a very nice combination. Your husband is smart (and strong) to stand up to his mother like that. She needs to learn boundaries. She named her own children and now it's time for you to name yours.