Hang asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 6 months ago

I formatted my SD card and continued to take more pictures. Is there any way to recover those lost pictures prior to formatting?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Frank
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The only thing that happens when you format a storage device whether it be a hard drive or an SD card is that you reset the file system so that every sector is considered to be free space. Formatting does nothing to that actual data on the storage device itself. This is why you can use file recovery software that can scan the storage device and find and recover all of the files. The only thing to worry about is that all space occupied by the files that you want to keep is now considered free space. So just as long as you do not write anything to the storage device, you can recover the files.

Just download a data recovery app like Recova, insert the SD card into your card reader and let the software scan the card. Select the files that you want to recover and that's it.

• BriaR
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Some cameras (eg my Canon 70D) offer a quick format that behaves as the answer describes but also a full format that wipes data completely.

• 6 months ago

Taking more photos after formatting is the problem. You have DEFINITELY overwritten some of the photos. How many just depends on how many photos were there in the first place and how many photos you took after the format.

• 6 months ago

Only if you spend a Lot of money.

Are the images worth at least $2,500 to you?

If not, forget it.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You can only recover the old pictures if they were not overwritten by the newer ones so it will depend on how much pictures you have taken after formatting.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

take it to a cornputer store, they rnight be able to get those pictures out for you

• Ducky
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Is that your answer to everything? Pretty much whenever I see you answer it’s always take it to a store and get someone else to do it for you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.