Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 8 months ago

What religion and political party were you at age 24 and why?

• Chris
    Favorite Answer

When I was 24, Jimmy Carter was President. He was such a shitty President, I became a lifelong Republican.

think i recall i was a Democrat -- lived in Atlanta and the Dims were dominant statewide, so if you wanted to have an impact at all, you had to be a Dim.

religion -- none practiced.

I was raised Roman Catholic, but I was never super into it. I was self-describing as a 'Recovering Catholic' pretty much starting in college. In my late 20s, I re-examined my beliefs and concluded that I was an atheist. But at 24, I guess I was still in that 'Recovering Catholic' stage which basically meant I believed in God, I just didn't believe that we humans know ANYTHING about Him.

Politically, I was in the 'who cares' camp until college. In college I guess I became what I'd call a Republican with Democratic leanings. I was Republican, but on SOME ISSUES, I definitely veered the other way. I was 24 in the mid to late 90s. The GOP was pretty much in it's best years with Gingrich achieving perhaps the greatest entitlement reform in US history as well as multiple smaller reforms. I wasn't REGISTERED Republican at the time, but I was, in most respects, Republican.

But that was probably the high point of my Republicanism. Over time, I drifted away and found the Libertarian Party and joined that. Then they alienated me, too, and now I call myself a 'small-L libertarian' and 'independent'. The L word is the easiest short way to get people into the general ballpark of what I think politically (assuming they know what it is), so I still lean on it, but I have alot of differences with them.

Atheist and Independent. I believe religion is horrible and represses humanity. I'm pro-capitalism, gun, anti-intervention, anti-immigration, prodrugs, pro prostitution, pro-free speech, pro-death penalty, pro-abortion, etc. That was two years ago, and I still retain those beliefs.

Republican. I changed after Reagan lied about Iran Contra and caused the 1989 crash, and Bush caused the 2008 crash.

• American Atheist

huh, I would have never guessed you where once a Republican, the more you know (star streaking across the screen)

Catholic and Democrat. I was raised that way.

• Smoking Joe

Until Fox News got to your brain. Oh well every family has to have one idiot.

I was a Democrat in 1977 but voted for Reagan in 1984. I've voted straight Democrat ever since and I'm 65 now. Trump is taking us down the path to fascism.

• Sherry

Christian, no political party, but somewhat liberal. I hadn't yet opened my eyes and learned to trust myself. I was still getting over believing what I was told, rather than what I saw and experienced.

Atheist and Democrat, for the same reason, I look at evidence and refuse emotionally charged bs

It's none of anybody's damned business. Remember the days when everybody kept their private business to themselves?

You just blew your anonymous cover, big guy.

I don't believe you.

What the fµçk is wrong with you? Why can't you just respect somebody's opinion? You just turned an answer to a question into your own little PlSSlNG contest. Excuse me, for I need to start grilling some jerk chicken with a side of asparagus.