Do you think a 2010 Toyota Camry with 178600 miles worth $4900?

• John

If the Camry still has the good reputation and yours will continue it. Yes.

However if it's like the typical used junk at 175k it's worth about 2500 titptop.

The one reason is the head gasket and rear main oil are ready to blow.

Oh let's say they are replaced? Are the rings replaced at the same time? Pistons bored chamfered? How about those nice sticky valves?

Then shall we look at suspension?

Your car simply won't last very long as a car and that's because it's engine and suspension (those are the two main moving parts) are in general shot after that many miles.

Usually people take what they can get and are happy and don't worry about 'pricing'.

As long as it didn’t get stolen by a bunch of prisoners that just escaped, than I think you should be okay.

True story, btw...

Yeah that's good I'mma dealer. If it had over about 210,000 I would've said no.

The price is way too high. I'd use the blue book if i really wanted the car for some reason. And honestly, the ONLY car i'd even consider buying with milage this high, is a Camry (I've owned two and I was a fleet mechanic for 40 years, the Camrys were bar none the best, most reliable and durable cars in the fleet). You need to know, if possible, the maintenance done to it, especially since it's not unusual for a car of this mileage to have had a new engine put in at some point. (Even then that doesn't automatically make it a good buy, a lot of engine rebuilders cut a lot of corners during rebuilds making for a less reliable engine).

Only reason I'd actually consider getting a high mileage camry is because this is the only car I know that might still be worth owning by then. Never seen a car that wears so well especially if the owner babies it. And so if the car's been kept up, you might get another 50,000 trouble-free miles before you really had to start spending money on it. If you really want the car offer them half that amount, if the owner is delusional and stands firm find another car, one with less than 100K miles.

Too Many Miles

Not to me, but they will get it if he keeps it long enough

No maybe 1,500

• don r

Offer them $2500-$3500. That's too many miles.

• Dan B

That's about 17,000 miles of driving each year. Check the "fair" price on Kelly Blue Book or go to your bank or credit union to see what the car is worth (should be free). The fair price is dependent upon its condition and model.

• arther

no too many miles