Francoise asked in PetsReptiles · 6 months ago

Aggressive children's python?

My children's python is about 1.5 years old and she is quite aggressive, only when she's inside the cage. She has struck from inside the glass multiple times when I put my finger against the glass from the outside, despite being fed only a couple of days prior. Its really sad because I got a children's python because I read that they were extremely docile and not aggressive, but she is quite the opposite inside the cage. She's never struck when im handling her which is okay I guess..... is there something that I am doing wrong? why is she so aggressive?

You didn’t mention the python type,so I’m guessing it’s a ball python? Btw,you can’t be 100% sure about the temperament of an animal,regardless the species.Even with ball python,generally very laid-back snakes,you can get a sassy one.Said so,one thing I can suggest is: if you’re feeding the snake inside his cage,try to feed him into another container.What happens sometimes is that if you’re not handling the snake very much,probably because you’re afraid to get bitten,the snake will associate your hand with food,cause that’s the only thing he knows.So try to feed him inside another container and be brave and handle him.Trust me,if you get bitten it’s not a big deal,but you have to show the snake that you’re not afraid of him.Try to handle him every day for about 10 minutes and you will see improvements.When he will be chill in his enclosure you can start to feed him there.

• Ryan

You can offer additional hides as well. She may be a little stressed. My retic did the same thing for a while then when I added additional hides he relaxed a good bit. Also you can use a method of hook training (get an object like a paper towel roll and lightly pet the snake to let it know its not food time when taking it out.) they are smart animals and will catch on quick. Hope this helps.

Here’s my 2 cents 👍

Many snakes can survive or even thrive being fed less (or less often) than the snake would consume to be full, esp those that are opportunistic feeders such as jungle carpet pythons, (I’m not 100% if Children’s Pythons are or not) which will not only eat just because they are hungry but also because they have the chance to. If your snake is NOT aggressive while out of the cage and won’t strike if approached or picked up while outside the tank if sat down for a few minutes, then I’d say it may more likely be a feeding response. You can try feeding in a separate container so it learns to eat in a separate environment, or you can increase the size of prey (see below) and/or feeding frequency (at least 1-2 a week unless very large meals). I’d see if those make ANY difference.

Two ways You Can Determine a Good Meal for Your Snake:

-Weight of Meal(s) should be close to 10% of the weight of the snake

-Width of Prey 1.5-2x bigger than the width of the snakes head

Feed the python rats

• Thea

Striking at a finger against the glass sounds more like a feeding response then a defensive action. What size feeder are you using and how frequently? Often owners fail to move up to a suitable size with their feeder rodents as their snake grows and end up with a snake that is chronically underfed, which will trigger an aggressive feeding response.

• Derek6 months agoReport

You do make a good point with underfeeding being a possibility. Many snakes (esp more ground dwelling or semi aboreal pythons and boas) can survive pretty much fine being fed just enough to end up hungry days before they get fed again.

The only thing you can do is Handle it and see if it stops. It may always be that when when it’s in the cage. When something is coming over it the first thing it’s going to do is defend itself, it thinks a predator is coming after it

I don’t know why people always say call a vet. Like it’s anything to ask a vet about.

You got your children a python as a pet? Where is child services when you need them?

• Derek6 months agoReport

Hahahah 😂 Thea that was kind of hilarious

They can get quite territorial and it sounds like this is what you're experiencing. She's defending her domain.

• patty

the cage is her domain. my budgie does not like it when I put my hand in her cage,

• joeparker67

Lol a vet. They won’t have any idea what do to it’s not sick