Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 years ago

Will i get bullied for my accent?

my family may be moving to the usa next year and we’re from britain and i have a british acccent. is it possible i’ll get bullied at school (i’ll be in high school) and how badly? i’m scared because the school i’m at now is pretty accepting like no one cares about race, hair, height or anything like that and no one really gets bullied so i’m not used to being bullied. should i fake an american one? it sounds stupid but i’m already shy and awkward i don’t want to get bullied

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Kim R
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Americans love British accents! They'll want you to talk just so they can hear it. Now, if you are black or muslim, you might get some harassment, especially if you are moving down South. Here's the thing: there will always be some dumbass who will cause you trouble, but such people are not to be taken seriously. You have no worries; come on out and enjoy the experience!

• donnie
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Depends. Some schools have bulling problems and others are not as bad.

• 2 years ago

People in the US think British accents are cool. There's even a joke about that in a British film called "Love, Actually", where this ugly guy who can't get a girl in the UK wants to move to the US because he believes the women there will like his accent.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Be yourself and enjoy your opportunity for being unique !! Smart nice people gravitate towards smart nice people. idiots will make fun, so be ready for some idiots....it seems they are everywhere !! Good luck to you...hope you love it here ….

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • drip
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

You will not get bullied for having an accent. Especially a British accept. Any teasing will be good humored. Most students will think it rather cool.

Don’t even attempt to fake an American accent.

• J-Dawn
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Hard to say because people are different everywhere. You may or may not get bullied. You may or may not be the most popular person in school because they love your accent. Hard to say. Don't fake an American accent (it's difficult anyway and if you can't do it exactly right, you WILL get made fun of). Just be yourself.

• 2 years ago

For whatever reason good or bad your best bet is to learn and act with humility for we believe that we are better than everyone else especially other countries that speak English it is to be expected.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

It might be a plus in an upperclass anglophile part of Richmond Virginia. Depends on where and the class of people. Join an Episcopal Church.

• 2 years ago

**** them people are gonna judge you don’t go by what people think or tell you

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

just get drunk it'll make you feel better and not care

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.