Why are We Us?

More specifically, why are we in these minds and bodies? By random change we found have been any being on Earth, but we are this person? Is there a scientific reason why we weren't born as a dog, bug, or even one of the cells in our bodies?

In case you still are confused, does this sound familiar: "Ugh! Why'd I have to be born as John Smith and not someone cool like Jim Carry or Arnold Schwarzenegger?" Yeah, we all have had that thought of wanting to be someone else "I wish I could've been born as you" or something similar.

So why did our existence choose this mind and body?

Favorite Answer

Your question is based on a premise that

consciousness can be ethereal.

Available evidence points to a big fraction of

behavior and even decision making based on

phenomes (genetic programming)

Additional context for behavior is nature/nurture, socialization,

random imprinting, environment, etc.

It's not unusual for humans to bond with other life forms and

attribute sentience to them to the point of learning from them.

Your concept resembles religious descriptions of a

non-corporeal "soul" with no temporal constraints.

For Scientific purposes, any evidence you have would be

valuable.

I hate naturalists.

A naturalist will say "The water is boiling because the molecules speed up when heated and are bouncing off one another causing the rolling action you see."

But I say "The water is boiling because I want a cup of tea."

The *greater truth*; the more 'human' truth, is that the water is boiling because I want a cup of tea.

"The light waves are refracting off the water droplets creating the spectrum of colors in light rays to refract, resulting in the colored arch."

I see a rainbow, and I am reminded of God's love.

That's why I hate naturalists. Naturalists are blind to the greater truths - the more human truths - and spoil everything.

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you and set you apart." ~ The Lord

You were fearfully and wonderfully made. You were made in the image of God (like a little god). No one is like you; no one has your set of fingerprints or ever will. You are not the result of some bug that crawled up on a beach one day.

IF you were, then you would have no more value than a bug or a rat or a pig. There would be no reason for life, no purpose for it, and no hope.

Do not covet your neighbor's name, his wife or anything else that is your neighbors. Be thankful for even the water running out of your taps (which, although it changes form, was here from the very beginning).

How could a mindless process make a mind? 

How could nature ‘think ahead’ to create perfectly opposite and complimentary sex organs in plants and animals? 

If your brain is just the result of billions of cosmic ‘accidents’ how could you trust it for rational thought? 

If the combined intelligence and technology of the human race can’t produce just one living cell (let alone a self-replicating blade of grass) from scratch, how could a non-intelligent process produce the intricacies and diversity of the interdependant infrastructure we see? 

And how could matter itself ingeniously self-replicate? And what caused the natural and moral constants? And what is the basis for moral beliefs if there is no ultimate truth? All you would have left are opinions; one would be just as valid as the next. 

The Life Force that created the galaxies, the heavens, the earth, the seas and all things in them; made you and wants an intimate relationship with you. He gave you His Son as a way to do just that.

A seed must die to become a tree.

Hand over your life to God... put your trust in Him and He will give you the desires of your heart.

• Marquis8 months agoReport

As religious as I am that isn't quite what i'm looking for. Maybe I should explain it better- tl;Dr "Why did we wake up one day in these bodies when we were born?" It's like random chance to me that makes no sense. They just decided that "hey you're going to be this dude at birth. Like why?

• Cowboy

There's no random changes involved....you are who you are because that's who you are.

• Marquis8 months agoReport

But why though? The fact we are in this body and mind has to have some kind of reasoning behind it. Like ever played Soma? Spoilers, but your character have a 50-50 chance of being in a different body when he uploads himself.