Is there anything I can do to help with my reaction to mosquito bites?

I'm allergic to mosquitos. Ever since I was little when I get bit I get a large, red welt that swells up a lot. But at first when I get bit, it looks like the picture attached. Does anyone experience the same type of reaction? If so, are there any tips you have?

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Speed
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Best Answer

That could be a picture of me.

Some people attract mosquitoes due to the amount of carbon dioxide they emit, along with other chemicals. Infants and children may even have "skeeter syndrome," in which each bite gives rise to a giant, itching hive which enlarges for 8 to 12 hours and goes away in 3 to 10 days. They outgrow it. [Unless they are you or me.]

My favorite anti-itch medication is Benedryl. You can take it orally, or you can apply a gel or liquid, but you can't use both. I use the gel, mostly.

Applying heat to the bite helps. I run a washcloth under hot water, wring it out, and apply it, and the itch lessens. Tip: scratch all around the bite if you can't resist scratching. The relief is about the same, and you won't rip it open.

The welt is an allergic reaction. Oral Benedryl minimizes it (but doesn't stop the itch as well).

Repellents containing DEET are good. So is picardin. For greater protection, use a repellent with permethrin on clothing. But then you smell of mosquito repellent, and the good ones destroy nail polish.

• Taylor6 months agoReport

Thank you so much for the tips!! Very helpful!

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Take some benadryl to help make you feel better! Hope This Helped!

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

i think there rnight be stuff you can buy like sorne kind of spray to keep thern away frorn you

• 6 months ago

take benedryl...daily during the season...use repellant

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.