Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsAllergies · 6 months ago

Am I allergic to juicy/citrus-y fruits?

I can eat like a small piece of a fruit but any more would make my lips and throat itch a lot and swell if itched on, but it is not life threatening. My parents say it s not in the family genetics so I was wondering what it could be.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Pippin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    If you google it, you'll see that itching after eating fruit isn't uncommon -- and isn't really an allergy as such. Some fruits are more likely to cause it than others (my daughter reacts to melon), but it can happen with any or all fruit.

    Still, actual swelling is more likely to be an allergy -- and a mild allergy today can become a life threatening one tomorrow, so you might talk to your doctor about it.

  • I wouldn't count on it being not life threatening. That's how some food allergies work - you can eat 10 cashews and nothing happens, the 11th one throws you into anaphylactic shock. Just be careful - the easiest thing is to stay away entirely from those specific foods. Food allergies are not genetic. Often food allergies that start when you are a kid will disappear later in life.

  • Ian
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

    That's an intolerance, not an allergy.

  • 6 months ago

    Fruit isn't that great for us, anyway. It's loaded with natural sugars -- fructose. There are better choices.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

    I hope not. if you cant eat those foods you will die.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.