Dual Citizenship?

I recently found out that I'm a dual citizen of the US and South Korea by birth and I'm still kind of processing how it all works and the internet search I've been doing is not going well, so if you can explain it very thoroughly, I'd appreciate it.

(I'm a girl, so you don't have to say anything about the compulsory military service.)

Say that I'm in the states right now and I want to travel to South Korea, will I use my Korean passport and when I return to the states, I use my US passport? So it's like whichever country I'm traveling to, I use that country's passport?

Also, can you explain the double taxation?

And, what will the nationality of my child, if I am a dual citizen and the father has just one citizenship of a country, for example, US citizenship?

Please include examples, I have to be able to picture them to understand it.

Thank you

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

US citizens are technically supposed to use only their US passports but in most cases as long as you use the same passport to clear customs that you used to board the plane you'll be fine. Of course SK would then consider you a tourist and you'd only be able to stay for 90 days. US citizens are compelled to file tax returns every year no matter where in the world they live. But they're rate double taxes because there are standing arrangements with many countries to make sure that doesn't happen. Most nations also have certain residency requirements for you to be able to pass your citizenship on to a child. So this sort of depends on where you plan to live your life.