Why Is Toyota Corolla the best car in the world?

Favorite Answer

Good but not best. Camry is a bit bigger and better especially for 250 pound plus American drivers, passengers. Need to define 'Best' what weight to give fuel economy, braking, top speed, reliability, ease of maintenence and repairs, and cost. disclosure, my Camry is 20 years old and 300,000 miles , timing belt replaced and some rust from Wisconsin salt on roads in winter. A previous corolla might be put back on road.but will be needing some brake work, body work, exhaust work- engine was started after pull out of ditch-- Wisconsin winter again, ice and snow are bad traction. Datsun 210, 310s running engines- rusted out bodies and suspension mountings. SO, Corolla very good but light body means not enough metal to keep out rust and bend when dropped. .

I test drove a Corolla, and ridden in other people's and it wouldn't be my first choice to own, the Camry is much better in every way, except a few miles less in MPG. The Corolla was too small inside, too underpowered, too buzzy and noisy inside, not nearly as comfortable as my Camry. With a V6 the Camry leaves most other cars standing still during on-ramps and I still got 25 MPG (yesterday, last time I checked) in city driving. But yeah, I'd still pick a Corolla over most any other cars: it's well engineered, as reliable a car as anybody makes, parts and service are cheap and wears like iron, you will get 200,000 miles from a Corolla with ease. A lot of cars, even today, barely make it half that before they start throwing codes and falling apart, needing repairs all the time. By that I mean detroit iron, which I gave up on decades ago, because of designed-in defects and high price of everything.

• F

It maybe very reliable but soooooooooooooooooo boring. Life's to short to drive boring cars.

• don r

Quality in materials, engineering and workmanship is why.

It's ONE of the best, but THE best car for MY needs, has to be reliable AND deliver superior gas mileage, and the Prius delivers that, so, for me the best is the Prius.

Im not sure about the new ones but the old corollas from the 90s were one of the most reliable cars ever. I still drive a 1997 corolla with very minimal repairs. Know the new ones with the cvt tranmssion reliability is still not proven.

It is the most adequate car ever:

Doug Demuro: "The 2020 Toyota Corolla Is a Car"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZCH1JsTNMI

Youtube thumbnail

Well, for one thing, it's been made for 50 years so they've had a long time to get it right!

We developed the science of 'reliability' back in the 1930s, but we never did it! Nobody wanted to make something that lasted forever because then nobody would ever buy another one! American car mfgrs believed that nobody WANTED a car that would last 20 years, so they were deliberately built to wear out in 10 years.

At the end of WWII we sent experts to Japan to help them rebuild their manufacturing capacity. We sent W. Edwards Deming to teach them what we knew about reliability. And to the Japanese, this was almost like a religion! We taught them how to make long-lasting products but we didn't do it ourselves, and over the next 40 years or so they ate our lunch! -They- and to show -us- what we showed them!

Today there's no such thing as an 'American' car. Every car made in the US with a US nameplate is actually made by a joint venture between an American car company and a Japanese company! Ford and Mazda, GM and Toyota, Chrysler and . . . well it used to be Mitsubishi but these days it's FIAT. 8^P

I'm retired now but I worked my whole life in quality control. And I could tell you stories!

They all do marketing, truth be told, no vehicle is "the best in the world". The best is active transportation, because you get around without burning fossil fuels.

Mine only had one recall.

I've had mine for 14 years, it's needed MINIMAL repair and upkeep.