Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 5 months ago

HELP WITH FILM PHOTOGRAPHY! Grainy/Underexposed?

I’m new to film photography and just got these back... I used film a friend gave me so I’m thinking it could be expired and since I live in Florida it gets really hot and I would occasionally leave it in the car. Do you think these problems would be resolved with new film or should I play with my camera settings?

• Frank
    Best Answer

This cannot be a user error (i.e. bad settings).

This could have been due to the film being old; There could be a light leak in the camera; Poor processing of the film; Improper storage of the film or a combination of these possibilities.

My guess is that the age of the film would likely not cause this bad of a result. Instead, I think the likely problem is a light leak in the camera or you (someone else) may have accidentally opened the camera and fogged the film.

Usually when film gets old, it often results in a loss of light sensitivity along with a color shift. This color shift is even across the entire film and not blotchy like you see in your posted example. I've never seen old film react like your posted example and I worked for several years in a camera shop during the days of film.

Try a new roll of film and see what happens. But before using the camera again, check around the film back for any signs of deteriorated light baffle or gaskets. Often older cameras used black felt around the grove of where the film door mates up with the camera. This material is notorious for flaking off resulting in light leaks. For most people light leaks is a bad thing, for some others they actually like it because for them it looks artistic or cool. The Holga, for example, is a great camera loved by so many BECAUSE of just how horribly badly & cheaply built it is. If you want a cool film camera, the Holga has got to be on the top of your list. They are still being made (I think) and they're pretty cheap, too.

• Frank

You're welcome, and thanks for choosing my answer as being the best.

Cheers

• John P

Leaving a camera in a hot place for some time does affect the film. Certainly it might increase the grain, less likely that it would cause thin negatives.

By "underexposure" do you mean thin negatives or dark prints (a printing fault, which could occur even from good negatives)? Wrong camera settings would cause thin (or thick) negatives, depending on which way the wrong settings went.

Expired film tends to go grainy.

It is possible that the camera is faulty, shutter speeds or aperture marks not accurate.

• Bernd

A hot car will ruin film. Another reason to use digital camera.

• Joe

Agreeing with the others: this looks like old, expired film, stored badly.

Source(s): Grew up using film, and processing my own B & W.

Film should not be stored in hot areas, read the instructions that come with the film.

There are no camera SETTINGS that would cause those problems. There can be faults in the actual camera that can cause light to leak in but I suspect it is more to do with the age, storage and handling of the film. Try to load and unload the film indoors or in the shade.

I'd try a new film.