What kind of watch is this and is it worth something?

Hi,

My grandfather recently passed away and we went through his stuff today and I found this old watch he really loved, it's not in the best condition and i cant find a brand or anything, for all i know he could have gotten it in a dollar store. But since he really loved it I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out if its worth getting fixed maybe or not. Really random question i know haha thanks if anyone knows anything tho.

Contact a jeweler and ask if they can do appraisals, mention an antique pocket watch.

It is a pocket watch and is known as a 'hunter's watch', or as having a 'hunter case'. Many had engraved cases and the horse motif was a popular theme. They are collectible in most cases.

Can it be wound and does it run, and if so, check it against a digital clock to see how well it keeps time. A higher-quality watch will keep fairly accurate time even if it's old. It might just need a good cleaning.

But most of the known makers put their names on the face of the watch. I see nothing on the face, but there is something near the movement. Enlarging the photo blurs it, and I cannot clean it up enough to make out the two names. If you can decipher it, tell us. It's a starting point for research.

• Robert J

It says "Advance" and "Retard" against the adjustment lever on the balance wheel spring.

• Bob

The best thing to do if you want to find out what brand it is, and if it's getting fixed or not ( and while you did not ask,I am going to assume that you would want to know what it's worth) is to go to a watch or jewelry store, and ask them.

• drip

On the bottom left photo there is a name. Which is probably the brand, the company that made it.

Look again ....I see some writing on one of the pictures ....there might be more also .

• jimmy

Take it to a watch or jewelry store, they might know something about it. Stay away from places like pawn shops until you know what's up with it.