What kind of watch is this and is it worth something?

Hi,

My grandfather recently passed away and we went through his stuff today and I found this old watch he really loved, it's not in the best condition and i cant find a brand or anything, for all i know he could have gotten it in a dollar store. But since he really loved it I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out if its worth getting fixed maybe or not. Really random question i know haha thanks if anyone knows anything tho.

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Contact a jeweler and ask if they can do appraisals, mention an antique pocket watch.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

It is a pocket watch and is known as a 'hunter's watch', or as having a 'hunter case'. Many had engraved cases and the horse motif was a popular theme. They are collectible in most cases.

Can it be wound and does it run, and if so, check it against a digital clock to see how well it keeps time. A higher-quality watch will keep fairly accurate time even if it's old. It might just need a good cleaning.

But most of the known makers put their names on the face of the watch. I see nothing on the face, but there is something near the movement. Enlarging the photo blurs it, and I cannot clean it up enough to make out the two names. If you can decipher it, tell us. It's a starting point for research.

• Robert J
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

It says "Advance" and "Retard" against the adjustment lever on the balance wheel spring.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The best thing to do if you want to find out what brand it is, and if it's getting fixed or not ( and while you did not ask,I am going to assume that you would want to know what it's worth) is to go to a watch or jewelry store, and ask them.

• drip
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

On the bottom left photo there is a name. Which is probably the brand, the company that made it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Look again ....I see some writing on one of the pictures ....there might be more also .

• jimmy
    Lv 4
    8 months ago

Take it to a watch or jewelry store, they might know something about it. Stay away from places like pawn shops until you know what's up with it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.