There were threats of shooting in my child's middle school. Are there any effective alternative education except homeschooling?

Effective in what way? Educating your child or decreasing the chance of being shot? Take a deep breath. Despite the tragic events of schools shootings, they are still very, very, rare. That noted, ANY place where lots of people gather and access is hard to control can be a place where violence can occur. I'd encourage you not to give into fear. Instead, get involved in your child's school. Find out what they are doing in terms of resource officers, looking classroom and exterior doors, teaching kids to be aware, and encouraging students to report things they know through programs like Safe-to-Tell.

The fact that those threats were uncovered and taken seriously -- and no shooting actually occurred -- is a good sign.

• Ludwig

No. This is 'Yahoo Answers Homeschooling'. If you do not homeschool your children will all probably get shot.

Your basic options are traditional public school, public charter school, private school, and independent homeschooling. Most violence has taken place in public schools because most students attend public schools. 85% of students attend public school. 3% or so are homeschooled and the rest of them private schools. I went to a private high school, it doesn’t offer any better security than a public school. The only difference would be that if they have a student who is unstable, they can expel that student. That happened 35 years ago when I was a senior to a student who cuts her self in public in our school library. There was a recent school shooting at a charter school in the Denver area. They seemed to be more oblivious to that threat than many public schools.

I would say this to you. Shootings have happened everywhere. You can’t go to a college or university, yoga studio, movie theater, mall, night club, synagogue, church, mosque, public building or workplace, without being at risk of violence. The recent violence in Virginia Beach should highlight that riskAnytime we are in a large group of people, we are at risk. We are a country that doesn’t treat the mentally ill and allows them to purchase guns. That is a fact that is a part from the argument over gun control. If violence is your only concern at the school, get involved. Go to the next school board meeting and insist that they put in metal detectors. Ask what they’re doing to find students who are a risk for violence. Ask them how they handle those students who are found who have made threats. Don’t sit back passively and think that if you homeschool your child, she will be safe. If she ever goes outside the house, she is at risk. A small risk, but still a risk. Don’t let fear run your life.

• musician6 months agoReport

I won't let fear run my life, you are absolutely right! But Im making plans to leave US. It's just too much! When I called the police to ask who exactly made threats- students at the school or outsiders, they said that they can't discuss details to the public. Very frustrating, very!

• cool

Homeschooling would always be best, even if schools were not violent.

• cool

you don't necessarily have to be present when your child is learning at home, most robberies take place at night

expensive private schools

Violence can happen anywhere, unfortunately. Removing them from school doesn't make them save unless you put them in a bubble in their basement.

A better thing is to teach your child to be cognizant of their surroundings and how to maintain a level head during a stressful situation. As well, as working with your community leaders to create better safety in public in general.

• musician6 months agoReport

Could you actually say something less dumb?! You make yourself a laughing- stock posting your complete nonsense. You just want to have a last word by making your ridiculous accusations that have nothing to do with reality. Get out of here or I will report you for harassment.