Why did my internet get slower when I bought a router?

Okay so my situation is kind of unique so bear with me for the background info: I recently moved to a new apartment that had a setup where they offered xfinity wifi to all tenants if you bought an xfinity internet package. So I bought a package that was "up to 60 mbps download speeds", which was one of... show more Okay so my situation is kind of unique so bear with me for the background info:

I recently moved to a new apartment that had a setup where they offered xfinity wifi to all tenants if you bought an xfinity internet package.

So I bought a package that was "up to 60 mbps download speeds", which was one of the slightly higher packages, since I like to stream videos and do a bit of online gaming.

The community wifi was okay, I would get around 15 mbps downloads when I tried to download things like video game updates, etc., but eventually I decided to get my own router to get the maximum potential out of my internet package.

I got a Netgear AC1000 Dual Band Wifi Router, which was a cheaper router, but I figured since it's a small apartment and I'm the only one using the internet (and never trying to do 15 things at once on the internet) but it made my internet WAYYYY slower, like less than 1 mbps download speeds.

Note that it was this slow when I used wifi but it was ALSO this slow when I hard wired an ethernet directly from router to computer/xbox/etc.

Why is this? Did I buy a bad router? I don't want to go spend $200 on a new expensive router if this isn't the problem. Am I just using bad ethernet cables? I think I read there's a difference, but that doesn't really explain when it's slow with AND without the cables. Do I need to upgrade my internet package? What's the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks in advance.