If you are ethical-based vegetarian that doesn't eat sentient creatures: would oysters, clams, and mussels be ok?

Update:

they have a heart and a anus. some of them have ganglia.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well the mantra commonly used for clams etc, its in doubt leave it out.

While they have no brain, they do have a very basic nervous system with sensory perception and anti-predatory responses.

If they can "feel","fear" or not is beyond our scientific understanding at the moment.

If they have no self awareness and no pain perception then logically there is not a problem in eating them by vegetarians.

• Lim Yuan
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

And this paper,
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2884105/

"Recent surprising similarities between plant cells and neurons"

• 6 months ago

NO. If it tastes good - don't eat it.

• 6 months ago

You cannot be a vegetarian and eat sea food. Whether you want to believe it or not fish and clams are meat.

• Sam
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Not for me but that is my choice.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I personally don't eat them because I think they're gross.

But I'd have no ethical objection to eating them as long as they're fished ethically (IE: no other species gets harmed in the process of gathering them)

• 6 months ago

Check out a pescitarian diet. It allows for sea creatures but not whale or land flesh.

• Louis
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

There is at least one vegan who has proposed that is is ok to eat oysters and such. He even named it. Bivalve Vegans.

One of his premises is that bivalves don't have brains, thus they are not sentient or have emotions or feel pain. the first two things are probably true. But we don't know and can't know if they feel pain. they certainly don't feel pain like we do. but they do sense their environment.

The argument against bivalve argument has several parts. One is that we can't know if they feel pain. Second is that they are definitely animals and if vegans start making exceptions where do we re-draw the line. Slippery slope there. Third, we don't NEED to eat oysters. Tastiness is not a good reason to eat an animal. And these animals do serve an important environmental service - they help clean the ocean. they too are being overfished. Also, they may not be healthy - they are filter feeders and their meat has been know to be contaminated with heavy metals and other toxins.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Well, they would be “ok” if the rest of us are wrong and those things are plants.

Please tell us you aren't REALLY that stupid!

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Vegetarians don't eat animal flesh. That mean no oysters, clams or mussels.

If you think it's ethical to eat those things and want to eat them, go for it. But you can't call yourself a vegetarian because "vegetarian" has an actual definition.

• 6 months ago

That would make you not a vegetarian. But who cares? Eat what you want. Why do you need a label?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.