Can changing the transmission fluid cause the transmission to fail?

I got a 2001 subaru outback for $700, and it has 300,000 miles on it. I checked the fluid the other day and it was not red. It wasn't black ether, more like a clear-grey color. Right now it is shifting fine, but I've heard that changing it when the fluid is bad, can cause it to fail. But not changing it can... show more I got a 2001 subaru outback for $700, and it has 300,000 miles on it.
I checked the fluid the other day and it was not red. It wasn't black ether, more like a clear-grey color.
Right now it is shifting fine, but I've heard that changing it when the fluid is bad, can cause it to fail. But not changing it can also cause it to fail, so i'm wondering if i should leave it, and drive it tell it fails, or change it, and hope it doesn't immediately start slipping. What do you think i should do???