I've got a new Graphics card and I need to switch it with the the old. Would I lose my data by doing this?

Impossible. Not happening. Never will.

Shut off the machine (properly), unplug (or use power supply rocker switch) power and graphics cable (dsub/vga, dvi, html, displayport), remove side panel, check to see the green light inside is OUT, remove old graphics card (unscrew from the rear panel), unclip from the motherboard and lift off. Put the new one in until you hear a slight click, screw it back on, connect graphics cable, flip rocker switch on, or plug in power, put side panel on, power on machine.

• ron h

I'd unplug, not just shut down. Before you install the card, I'd try to find and download the drivers (not install). but you CAN do that after putting the card in.

• keerok

Not if you shut down the computer first!

no data will be lost. data is stored in the hard drive or SSD, not the graphics card

So I can just turn off the computer exchange it and the just power it on?

• David S

Check. Be sure you're online when you restart so the installation software can find the latest drivers.

When replacing a graphics card, there is no need to worry about lost data.