Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCaribbeanCuba · 8 months ago

Can I travel to Cuba if I have family there?

I recently got my US Citizenship, and once I did that it took away my Cuba citizenship. But I have family in Cuba, can I still go over there even with all the new laws and regulations?

Favorite Answer

YES.

WHY do you think that Cuba no longer considers you a Citizen of Cuba?

You might be a dual Citizen. You probably will need your Cuban Passport to travel to Cuba.

Travel to Cuba is regulated by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of the Treasury. Anyone located in the United States, regardless of citizenship and nationality, must comply with these regulations. Individuals seeking to travel to Cuba are not required to obtain licenses from OFAC if their travel is covered by a general license. If travel is not covered by a general license, you must seek OFAC authorization in the form of a specific license. Travelers who fail to comply with regulations may face penalties and criminal prosecution. For travel-specific questions, please see 31 C.F.R. 515.560 and OFAC's Frequently Asked Questions.

Visit the Cuban Embassy website for visa requirements. Cuba requires visitors to have non-U.S. medical insurance, which is usually included in airline ticket prices on flights originating in the United States or can be purchased at the airport upon arrival to Cuba. Foreign students on scholarships are required to test for HIV/AIDS.

Cuba does not recognize the U.S. nationality of Cuban-born U.S. citizens. The Cuban government requires Cuban dual nationals to enter and depart Cuba using Cuban passports. Cuban-born U.S. citizens will be treated as Cuban citizens and may be subject to restrictions and obligations.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found elsewhere on our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our customs information page.

Cuban Requirements for Authorized Travelers: Attempts to enter or exit Cuba illegally, or to aid the irregular exit of Cuban nationals or other persons, are prohibited. Entering Cuban territory, territorial waters or airspace without prior authorization from the Cuban government may result in arrest. Immigration violators are subject to prison terms ranging from four years to 30 years.

Did you actually revoke your Cuban citizenship?