Good Build for $700 Gaming PC?

I would like to know if there is anything missing or any flaws in this build everything came out to $780 US and is it possible to make this build a bit cheaper so it’s closer to my budget?

CPU - Intel Core i5-9400F Desktop Processor 6 Cores 4.1 GHz Turbo Without Graphics

Case - Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L mATX Tower w/Magnetic Design Dust Filter, Transparent Acrylic Side Panel, Adjustable I/O & Fully Ventilated for Airflow

Case Fan - Cooler Master Sleeve Bearing 120mm Silent Fan for Computer Cases, CPU Coolers, and Radiators (Value 4-Pack)

Monitor - Acer SB220Q bi 21.5" Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS Ultra-Thin Zero Frame Monitor (HDMI & VGA Port)

PSU - EVGA 600 BQ, 80+ Bronze 600W, Semi Modular, FDB Fan, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 110-BQ-0600-K1

SSD - ADATA SU800 128GB 3D-NAND 2.5 Inch SATA III High Speed up to 560MB/s Read Solid State Drive (ASU800SS-128GT-C)

HDD - WD Blue 1TB PC Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD10EZEX

Motherboard - MSI Performance GAMING Intel Coffee Lake H310 LGA 1151 DDR4 Onboard Graphics Micro ATX Motherboard (H310M GAMING PLUS)

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz (PC4 19200) C16 Memory Kit - Black

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 XC Black Gaming, 6GB GDDR5, HDB Fan, 06G-P4-1161-KR

Mouse - AmazonBasics 3-Button USB Wired Computer Mouse (Black)

Keyboard - AmazonBasics Wired Keyboard

USB flash drive (for windows) - SanDisk Cruzer Glide CZ60 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ60-032G-B35

3 Answers

Relevance
  • P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Best Answer

It looks mostly fine. The flash drive is a waste of money since you have the SSD

I'm not sure how tight on cash you are, but here's some tips

For an extra $40 you get a much bigger and faster gaming drive, yes you will need it, but it's also something you can put off if you get the bigger SSD.

Seagate FireCuda 2TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD – 2.5 Inch SATA

For an extra $30 you can get a 480gb SSD Yes you will want it. 120GB for windows 10 is basically the bare minimum, but not worth saving $30 over a bigger drive.

ADATA SU655 480GB 3D NAND

These days it's better to have 16gb ram, but you can always upgrade that later.

Also I would probably spend the extra $40 that a 24 inch monitor would be. It's a much better size and you will usually have the monitor longer than the PC

• Adrian
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

And the SSD is too small, get at least a 256GB one, or 512GB if you can afford one....

• 6 months ago

I'd suggest ditching the h310 board in favor of a b360 or b365 motherboard. The b360 boards only cost $5-15 more but they are loaded with enough modern features that make the b360 chipset a much better value.

If you can afford to get a 250gb to 500gb SSD then do so. While you won't be able to store all your games on the SSD, if you get a large enough SSD then you can store your favorite game on it. A SSD might not make a difference in most games, they do make a difference in MMORPG games at have a large open world map.

• 6 months ago

First of all, please do us the favour and enter your setup as a whole in e.g. pcpartpicker https://pcpartpicker.com/ and post the link here. That would make it much easier to check out your components (and may already give you a hint or two, especially with respect to pricing and compatibility).

Second, you added a (cheap) keyboard (which somehow suggest you don't have an old PC you are upgrading from), but you left out the operating system. You'll have to budget another ~100$ for a valid license for Windows 10.

Finally (for now), you're using the same cheap and essentially useless combination you can find in a lot of cut-priced ready assembled "gaming" PCs - minimal RAM, a SSD just for the sake of it and a large-ish HDD. You'll want more RAM and a larger SSD basically a couple of weeks after you've bought the PC, and (if this is indeed or even just mainly a gaimg rig) will still wonder two years down the line what you're going to do with the HDD.

P.S.: While you're at pcpartpicker, look at their modest AMD gaming build https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/csQzK8/modest-amd-g... Leave out the HDD, and your budget will even permit you to get a legal copy of Win 10.

---

P.P.S.: Sorry, forgot you also need a display, which isn't included in the above PCPP list. And yes, right now, AMD is the better choice if your main constraint is price. Intel/NVidia will deliver more bang with less power, though.

• Markus Imhof
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

For a gaming rig - yes to both. You won't need large local storage, but you want fast.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.