How to comfort your wife when she's sick ?

My wife has been sick the last few days she's had a soar throat and coughing a lot. She also hasn't been sleeping well. How can I help her feel better ?

Favorite Answer

It's probably a virus which will run its course. There's nothing you can do... just give her plenty of liquids. Bone broth is very good for a person, by the way.

And if she doesn't start to recover in a couple days, maybe she needs to see the doc

• lonewolf

Good job !!!

First, Get her medical help if she needs it. Get her to see the doctor and see if this is just something she will get over or if she needs some medication.

Make sure she looks after herself, gets some rest, doesn't go out when its too cold, etc.

Make her healthy food to help her body heal.

Indulge her a bit - watch her favorite movie, or whatever.

Hot lemony tea is said to help.

Cough drops or medication.

Plenty of tissues on hand.

Make her cosy on the couch.

Look after the chores so that they don't pile up while she can't do her share.

Steam inhalations can help - try eucalyptus oil or menthol.

Wait on her hand and foot. You must give her all of the nursing care which she needs; this includes bedpan duty if required. Remember, in sickness and in health. When my wife was dying I did bedpan duty. She tried to get me to stop, and I gently admonished her, "For over thirty years I have been asking myself if I am worthy to clean your bedpan. In fact, I respectfully demand that you let me do my duty as your husband. By not letting me take care of you, you are not letting me be your husband. You are compelling me to break my wedding vow to you albeit involuntarily. She gratefully relented and allowed me to care for her, day and night. Several months later, on the worst day of my life, April 12, 2015, seventy years after FDR died, she passed away. Every day since has been sad beyond description.

Make her food and hot tea and give her peace.

My husband gets upset when I'm sick but he hasn't got a caregiver bone in his body. Give your wife food and fluids and peace. It really helps!

• Kelly

For the most part when I'm sick, my husband leaves me alone. He's a physician and just reminds me to stay hydrated and to eat something.

Listening is key. Ask her what you can do to help ease her pain and discomfort.

• F

Saying "there, there" is sufficient in most cases.

How about getting her to a doctor? CHicken soup: made by the one who loves you, canned soup is cheating. Plenty of garlic to keep away vampires. Hand spoon fed to the one who ails, and if anything is sore, rub some of the soup on it, lovingly. Guaranteed. At least, to keep away the vampires.

• J

you should know this in fact you shouldn't even be asking this question, be there for her let her know that you are there to help her with anything she needs