Can anyone tell me if they know the make of this Gretsch guitar? As well as what one of these sells for now a days. Its prob from the 60-70s?

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • mars
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Reverb estimates the used price for a '55 Gretsch 6128 Duo Jet as $4720 to $9933

Source(s): (Reverb dotcom 6/19)
  • Me2
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You said you "figured out it was a 1955", which is quite a bit earlier than the initial 60-70s guess.  How exactly did you date the guitar?

With the exception of a few models, Gretsches made in the Baldwin era (1967 to 1981) are less desirable due to lax quality control, and naturally fetch lower prices.

• 6 months ago

It's definitely #6128 Duo-Jet, but doesn't have the Bigsby vibrato tail-piece that many of them had. Except for missing the tail-piece, yours, in black, is quite like the one George Harrison used with The Beatles at least into 1963.

He made sure his was virtually identical to the one used by Eddie Cochran prior to his 1960 death.

The Duo-Jet 1st went on sale in 1953. If yours is a 1950's model, sans tail-piece, you should be able to sell or buy it for between about $1750-2250 U.S.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

mars: Personal point of view: Anyone who plays a Les Paul, especially a Custom with the gold hardware, can't be ALL bad. Mine (ebony, with maple fingerboard) was "The Machine of a Dream."

• 6 months ago

It looks like a Model 6128 DuoJet. They also came with a Bigsby tremolo, which that one does not have. A vintage Gretsch site lists the collectability rating as C (where a Falcon is rated A, very much sought after).

If you knew who made the pickups, it would help to date the instrument. The 6128 was introduced in 1954 with DeArmond single coils, and guitars after 1957 had humbuckers.

As Gretsch still makes a version of the 6128 today, it's IMPOSSIBLE to put a value on yours without knowing the exact year, AND if everything on it is original and works as it should. No way to tell from pictures. Sometimes you have to take them apart and look at the electronics and body cavities for proper dating markings.

• curtisports2
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

As for value, you can sign up for free at Reverb and you can use their price guide. This page shows the actual transactions on a 1955 Duo-Jet but the info is blurred out. They say the range is from $3,000 to $7,000. https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/841-gretsch-6128-duo-jet-1955-black

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

The make is Gretsch - you said so yourself in your question. You sound confused.

• vincent6 months agoReport

Yes obviously i’m confused that’s why I posted on yahoo answers. I don’t really have any knowledge in guitars just trying to find out what’s the best way to figure out the exact model and year

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.