Child Citizenship Act of 2000?

Hello,

When I was 15-17 I lived with my mother in the US. I was a permanent resident at the time, and my mother became a citizen when I was 17.

I just found out I became a US citizen by this act, however I am now 21 and reside in another country. I do want to go back to the United States- do I just apply for the passport or would it just be easier to get a tourist visa and then petition again?

EDIT:

I did not leave the US until I was 18, but my mom became a citizen when I was 17 and living with her.

Favorite Answer

Apply for the passport:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passpor...

U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization of a Parent

If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)

Your parent(s)’ naturalization certificate

Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:

Permanent Resident Card/Green Card

Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp

Your parents' marriage certificate (if your parents were married when you legally entered the U.S. and before your 18th birthday)

Documentation of legal custody (if your parents were not married when you legally entered the U.S.)

Evidence of your legitimation (if your parents were not married at the time of your birth). Examples include:

Your parents' marriage certificate dated after your birth

Certified court order of legitimation

Please see U.S. Citizenship Laws & Policy for more information.

A US citizen is required to exit and to enter the United States with their US passport. You didn't do that, so you ll have to go to the nearest US Embassy or consulate and apply for your first US passport there. Depending on the country you're in (which OF COURSE you forgot to tell us), they may give you a hard time and have you file an N-600 to establish that what you said is true. That will take many months to process. If you get lucky, ideally have your mother with you, you may be able to get the passport without any problems.

You cannot get a tourist visa because you are an American, and even attempting to get one would be a crime (attempted visa fraud).

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Foofa

Order your US passport via a US Consulate in the country where you now live. Trying to apply for a US tourist visa when you're already a citizen is bound to confuse things.

• Maxi

If you became a citizen then you need to prove that and apply for a US passport and enter the US using that passport.

As a US citizen, you cannot apply for any visa. You will need proof that you were legally resident in the US (held green card) living with your mother when she naturalized, and that you were a minor child at that time.

Your mother was supposed to get you certificate of naturalization and/or US passport. Her negligence in this matter is going to complicate things as you now likely need her cooperation in proving matters so you can apply for a US passport.

BTW, if you became a US citizen before departure from the US, US law requires all US citizens to only enter/exit US on their US passport. Penalties apply for failure. If you left the US before your mother naturalized, you did not get US citizenship. You have some things to sort out here.

• Politically Correct

Ibu you are 10 years out of date. A US citizen that holds another citizenship no longer shows a US passport on departure. I travel on multiple passports all the time.

You cannot enter the US on a tourist visa because you are a US citizen. Get your US passport, be sure to file a non resident US tax return for every year that you earned money and then enter the US.

Get the passport first.