promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Which car is more reliable and will last a long time if taken care of? 2001 impala 3.4 or 2001 Hyundai elantra?

I need a car my current car is in danger of getting tickets for no inspection and its going to cost a grand to fix the problem and past inspection plus its a rust bucket. So i need a decent xar thats not going to cost an arm and leg.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 12 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The Impala will be the better choice.

Change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles and the transmission ATF every 60,000 miles and they last for a good 280,000 miles.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • FlagMichael
      Lv 7
      12 months agoReport

The manual calls for 100K miles on the transmission (IIRC) but I agree with you - 60K on TH transmissions.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jensen
    Lv 5
    12 months ago

I'd rather go with Impala, simply because it sounds like a more reliable option for me.

• 12 months ago

They're both about the same.

• 12 months ago

You are comparing a cheap compact with a sedan. If we time traveled to 2001 and were buying a new car, the Impala would have been a better car.

But asking about a 20 year old car? It's going to depend on how well it's been taken care of during those 20 years...

You can't except either to be very good.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 12 months ago

Early 2000s were bad years for Hyundai/Kia. The Impala was pretty good, although it has the cantankerous Passlock anti-theft system. The good news is that it can be reset if it acts up; see the source. If those two cars are the choices it is Impala all the way.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

You're asking about vehicles that are nearing 20 years old. Whatever you could say about the models generally when new is not very relevant today. What matters today is each models' past history which will in large part determine how much longer they will remain road-worthy.

• ...Show all comments
    • Jay P
      Lv 7
      12 months agoReport

@ Flag, for some reason this Anon character has it in for me and tries to nitpick my answers whenever he stumbles upon them. I don't mind though because those nitpicks are usually trivial and frivolous at best. It's rather amusing...

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

Hyundai will take you from A to B with mi nimal costs.

Impala is an older model, so maintenace will be more frequent.

• Anon
      Lv 6
      12 months agoReport

BS. Both are 2001. It is maintenance by previous owner, not just age.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

My wild guess is the impala because Hyundai cars feel pretty flimsy...

Cars are supposed to be heavy duty especially with the cost

• 12 months ago

The Impala. Hyundai vehicles from back then were awful. They're much better now.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

stay away for Hyundai/KIA, Chinese crap ..................

• ...Show all comments
    • FlagMichael
      Lv 7
      12 months agoReport

Korean but in those years they were definitely crap. Maybe better today - reliable members say they are.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.