spazzy asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 6 months ago

Contemporary dance, but can't do the split?

I started doing contemporary dance for 12 months, but I can't do the split-- do I have to? and also.. do I need to do air flips as well?

Favorite Answer

If you had taken ballet first as most better recreational schools require, doing a split wouldn’t be a problem. You skipped taking the technique classes required to dance contemporary dance. Flips are not generally part of contemporary dance. However you need to be able to do whatever the choreographer wants. That’s why you need years of ballet and codified modern dance technique training first.

Source(s): My daughter is a professional concert contemporary dancer & choreographer. Ballet academy trained. Dance grad of LaGuardia Arts high school (the FAME school.) Graham & Horton modern trained. Juilliard SI. BFA in dance from NYU Tisch. Currently choreographing and performing in a world renown concert contemporary company. I worked for NYCB (New York City Ballet.)

No, you do not need to be able to do the splits or any tricks like that for contemporary dance. Contemporary dance should be all about the movement and expression you feel in your body, not about how many tricks you can do.