Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 months ago

Would you support banning all immigration into the United States for 5 years?

Favorite Answer

In 1924, they did pass the immigration Act to severely restrict and slow down the immigration to allow the new immigrants already living in the US to assimilate and become Americanized. The foreign born population was just 5 percent in 1964. It was a true melting pot of various European ethnicities. We had that law for 40 years from 1924 to 1964 until treacherous democrats and Jewish lobbies opened the floodgates to the entire world in 1965.

@ Love Unites - This is nothing to do with refugees or humanitarian assistance. I am talking about the quantity and kind of economic immigrants.

@ Elwood Blues - Please. There were not that many Chinese or Japanese until floodgates were opened in 1965. You can't compare them with the founding stock at that time. The quantity of immigration per year was also greatly reduced to just 0.1 percent of population. Throughout the history, we had period of high immigration followed by decades of low rate of immigration to allow the immigrants to assimilate. The foreign born population is now at historic high.

• Elwood Blues

Actually, the 1924 Johnson-Reed act greatly INCREASED the quotas for immigrants originating in western Europe. See https://history.state.gov/milestones/1921-1936/immigration-act

JOhnson-Reed was designed to block Japanese and Chinese immigrants. In short, it was pure unadulterated racism.

No, and technically no one else would either. They might support a 5-year ban, but they couldn't keep supporting it for all 5 years, because the U.S. doesn't have enough food, or enough farm workers, to feed the country for 5 years without any immigration of farm workers. So before the end of the 5 years, all the supporters of the ban would have to stop supporting it or leave the country, because of lack of food.

Yes.

No country allows uncontrolled migration into its country. Ban all immigration until we can get our own young people off welfare.

• BOOM

No. We've never needed to do that before, and we don't need to do that now. All we need to do is allow INS to enforce the law equally across the USA. We should also require schools and hospitals to report illegal immigration.

Nope.

@David B. says "It has been done several times in the past." I challenge him to name a SINGLE TIME in the past that the USA has shut down immigration for 5 years. I challenge him to prove he didn't just make that garbage up.

*** update ***

In the comments, @David B. has graciously admitted his error, and I thank him and respect him for doing so. It would be good if he were to amend his post so that the error doesn't spread.

• helene

Make it TEN and it's a deal.

Sure. It has been done several times in the past. As long as the need for doing so is given other than vague generalities, I would support it.

• Elwood Blues

Really? Several times in the past? I bet you can't name a SINGLE time in the past it has been done. I bet you pulled that out of your @$$. But go ahead, prove me wrong!

No. We don’t need to ban immigration all together, we just need to be selective and enforce immigration policy.

• IOM

No. I support people coming in LEGALLY. Illegals should be deported immediately.

The LEGAL process should definitely be speeded up though. Reports claim people have to wait a year or more to come in the legal way.

• Mark

Not really.