I m going to Germany for 3 or 4 months and I don t know how much money to bring as a spending allowance. I already have accommodation.?

Arrange with your bank to issue you a debit card with chip and pin. Use it for larger purchases, and also to withdraw cash at ATMs. Let the bank know you're going to Germany, with the dates, so they don't panic at your first transaction abroad.

Depends. You already got food covered? If not, where are you from and what's the reason for your trip? It can't be tourist, as you (presumably) won't get a tourist visa for that period.

I'm asking because most companies and educational bodies will provide a means for a subsidized lunch (on average, one meal per workday). I pay ~5 Euros for that subsidized lunch - most other ways of getting something to eat would be more expensive.

Oh, and was was already mentioned, don't bring cash - or at least, don't bring too much cash, 200 € should be ok for starters. Smaller shops (bakeries, butchers) will often be reluctant to accept plastic, or may not take it at all. Otherwise, credit or debit cards (I use Visa and a VPay/CashPool card from my bank) should work, but you'll need a chip-and-pin or wireless card. Speaking of wireless, the Apple or Google systems might also work in some places (haven't tried them yet, it's easier for me to just use my card than having to fiddle around with PINs).

If all else fails, you can use the card to draw cash from an ATM - just be aware that most ATMs will charge a considerable fee for using cards that are not from the operator of that ATM.

Otherwise, it'll depend on what you want to do and where. At my place, a single bus (or train) ticket from my home to my workplace will cost me 3.20 €, an all-day ticket 6.40 €, a yearly ticket 58.23 €/month - but for the latter, I get again a subsidy from my employer, so I end up with spending ~11 €/month for that yearly ticket. Which remonds me - I need to replace the May ticket in my wallet :-)

Things are expensive in Germany. Do you have any food covered in your accomodation? Will you have kitchen facilities or will you have to eat out all the time? Leave your money in a bank account in the US and take it out of the ATM as you need it- or use credit cards. Other than food, you'll need money for the public transportation system, tickets for attractions that you visit, other entertainment, and souvenirs. How old are you? If you plan to drink, that's another major expense. I would think you'd probably need at least $500 for each month you spend there.

Most on the planet cannot afford 3 or 4 months off the job or away from school.

Entering any country is much more than waving your wallet and passport at the Border guard that greets you

you are expected to have a REASONABLE amount to cover your REASONABLE plan of activity for your time in Germany.

Things like admission fees for tourist stuff, daily transportation, something for meals and snacks while out and about.

You are expected to show you have reasons to leave at the end of visit. For example return to work, attending University or whatever.

No one can guess if plan to have all your meals at home and take a bottle of water with you and just sit in the park watching the flowers grow, take a bus and visit something buy one beer or ten with your lunch stop

you can look online for prices of stuff and figure something out that is reasonable.

Access to €5 per day is not reasonable. € 100 for most maybe your plan of activity is €200 per day if there is a lot of travel to distant places.Regular nights out to party a concert of two.

YOU figure out a reasonable budget for your time in Germany.

Sadly it happens you and your family have a disagreement and you are asked to leave the home. Do you have enough to get by and get yourself back to your country.

That depends on what you plan to spend it on.

Leave the money in the bank, they do have ATMs in Germany you know. You might want to ask your bank for a chip and pin debit card before you go.

Source(s): Don't bother with credit cards in Germany, their acceptance in the country is low. Cash is king.
    • Markus Imhof

Depends on the card - most supermarkets I go to now accept wireless Visa.