Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 7 months ago

Horse deciding to poop in stall?

I acquired my mare in November. I keep her at home on my own property. She has two stalls she can go in/out of at her discretion for shelter. Until two weeks ago she has never pooped in the stalls. For the past two weeks she has been pooping in the stalls. Nothing has changed regarding her lifestyle. Could this have something to do with being in heat? FYI...she comes with me to my lesson every week, we go trail riding once a week, we do arena work at home 2-3 times/week. All of this has been consistent and nothing has changed.

• John

Umm..horses are very sociable and like a big range.

Yours is cramped and alone so your animal is going through the"well I'm here this is all it's ever going to be might as well crap here who cares?" part of her imprisonment.

So either build her range and get another so she has a friend or live with it. You really don't want horses you just want exercuse. Bicycles work for that.

Your driving up the price for them anyway so me and everyone else really can't buy what we need like we should be able to.

But in the end clean up the mess. Especially when that animal gets really sick from poor living conditions.

She may be spending more time in there because of heat/bugs, and not wanting to go outside to defecate.

I trained my horse to go outside when he needed to defecate by making a pile where I wanted him to go, and now that's where he goes instead of in the stall. He's out generally 24/7 unless we have REALLY bad weather, and then him and his goat friend are locked up until the weather passes. That's the only time he BMs in his stall.

• Amber

Glad to hear you're not keeping her stalled up at the time.

It could be a few reasons. Maybe in her last home she spent most of her life locked up so she's been conditioned to use that as her "bathroom" - I've seen it before.

It can also be a territorial thing, though that is most common in males, I had a mare who was notorious for it.

She might just be spending a lot of time in there at the moment to escape the heat and the flies.

It makes your life easier, because at least it's all in one place and you don't have to pick the field.

I think Zephania is right. The mare goes inside to poop right now because it's cooler in there, and there aren't as many bugs around. It's not an issue, as long as you remember to clean the stall regularly so that the manure doesn't accumulate in there.

It's the beginning of the bug season. The horses generally spend more time - especially in the day time - in the barn, to get away from the flies and the heat.

They don't then leave the stall or barn to poop outside; they go where they're standing.

This behavior's pretty much the same for stallions, mares, or geldings, so it's unlikely it has anything to do with estrus.

Ever see a stable with a horsey restroom??? I didn't think so.

You got lucky so far, horses like their stalls, its where to food is, and where they poop while hanging out. Close the outer stall door until feeding time.