Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Other - Destinations · 6 months ago

Friends, family, cousins, etc are informing(not asking) me the dates they'll be visiting me(I live in a tourist destination). More inside?

So, this gets expensive as when people visit, you esentially go on vacay to by spening $ daily on fun activities, places to eat, destinations, etc to keep them entertained. I'm saving $ for other things & some of the dates I'm being informed of mean Im spending $ on things I wouldnt as I already live here and have done them and definitely wouldnt do all these things again on a daily for as many times as all these guests are coming. I also dont like no one is asking what works for me as it really is best they come after July, but they're all spread out over next week through August. How would you handle?

Best Answer

You are not required to be a tour guide.

You are not required to attend the special thing.

You can as host give them a ride or direct them to the local bus stop.

It is up to you if you have sleepover guests in your home.

Your family can stay in a nearby hotel and you have them over for lunch.

You can help find the suitable hotel/motel in their budget.

Help them get tickets for the special thing. YOU DO NOT PAY FOR THEM you just help get them.

They are taking advantage of your previous generosity and only you can curb their enthusiasm to access your wallet and hospitality.

YOU are not on vacation and have to attend to your needs. Be that getting some sleep or doing stuff you normally do.

As tour guide your family pays for your meal out. As tour guide your family fills your gas tank.

As host your family does their own laundry and does their own dishes. You are not a Hotel.You are not their maid service, their driver, their tour guide . You can assist them just like you would do stranger you guide in your tourist destination home.

I do not need to go for a ride at the amusement park. I can easily agree to deliver them or pick them up after their days adventure.

In my family if you play host. It is expected that at least some sort of compensation in a thank you gift at end of visit approximates the hotel room cost they saved.

Of course you could conveniently be doing some other planned activity out of town on their expected day of arrival. The golf game with your work mate. The weekend away with your special someone.

Learn to say the word NO. It gets easier over time with practise.

I am sure that was weekend you planned to paint the guest room this year.

• Orla C

Tell them you're now doing Air BnB and that you'll be charging them.

Tell them you're looking forward to seeing them, but you have other commitments on those days so you hope they'll enjoy seeing the sights without you.

Just because they're visiting the tourist attractions doesn't mean you have to. It's their holiday - not yours.

• MS

You need to be assertive and let them know that their plans do not work for you. And if you are gracious enough to let them stay with you, you are certainly not required to be their tour guide. Let them know that you have other plans, have to work, don't have the money to spend, etc - you can make suggestions and give tips and advice, but you shouldn't be expected to join them for everything.

i would just be thankful they corne visit you, people wont visit rne at all, not even where i live