Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

How can I help my dog when I leave for work?

Name: Lilly.

Type: Border Collie Whippet mix

Lilly has basically always been with me since I've been a stay at home since getting her. Even on Holidays we went to places we could take Lilly with us. My youngest started school this year and I've recently started a part time job. On days I work she goes to my mum's who's retired. Every time I leave Lilly she scratches and jumps up at the front window and whines and barks. According to my mum she eventually does quiet down but doesn't truly settle as she regularly goes to the window and checks every time she hears a car go by.

What can I do? It breaks my heart. I did think of working from home but honestly what even allows that? My partner says it's getting ridiculous trying to work around a dog to make it happy.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Leave lots of toys to play with

• 7 months ago

Start with short trips away. Like 10 minutes & shes back. Do bunches of these short trips & right back. Letting each trip out go a few minutes latter. gradually increase the time daughter is gone. Go out the back door, go start the car, come in the front door, go back to the back door, drive around the block & come home, greet your dog & leave again. Dogs mama always comes back. This is conditioning her to accept that when mama is gone, she WILL be back. This will help lessen the anxiety.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Euthanization.

• 7 months ago

This dog is TWELVE years old and still not trained? WTF? Why aren't you leaving your dog at YOUR home while you're at work?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You have done all and more you can, you go to work and your dog goes to your mums, who really needs to give the dog some attention to stop it checking the window several times while you are gone, one of the easiest things to do is take the dog out into the back garden while you leave so no 'fuss' is made, you just drop off and leave,this means the dog doesn't watch you go, then mum needs to get it on a lead and take it for a walk, so the dog has a benefit of going to your mums and that forms a 'new habit' the dog learns and it will settle into its new routine

• 7 months ago

She should adjust but what I'd suggest is instead of leaving her scrabbling at the window etc as you leave, your mum takes her out for a good walk immediately after you've left. Try not to make a big deal of leaving either - when we go out, we just say be good, and leave.

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Just be patient and Lilly WILL eventually get used to her new routine and especially since your mum says she does settle down more after a while.

It`s only natural that a dog feels insecure for a while in a new environment, especially an old lady dog, and get a bit panicky about it.

Once Lilly realises that you will always be back to take her home, she should accept things a lot easier.

At 12 years old it must be quite a shock for her to have her world changed so drastically, but hang on in there.

It would help a lot if your Mum would take Lilly out for some nice walks and it may make Lilly even look forward to staying with your mum.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

After 15 years of having had dogs I could provide a ton of great advice for you, but since you don't have the balls to post with a screen name and choose to use bluefaced anonymity instead, I'm not going to waste my time.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

She will adjust to the new schedule and be secure with it soon, dogs don't like change and are not great at it, however if it becomes routine and a familiar she will learn to accept it just like she did learning feeding times, bed times ,exercise schedules etc. dogs thrive on structure.

Make sure you exercise her well by letting her run and play catch in the yard before you take her to mold, have a pup icee of worn clothing with your scent when you drop her off, her blanket, a couple toys and her eater bowel. These things are familiar to her and helps accept the new change, in her ,info if her things are there and your scents there she must belong but at first dhes unsure where.

It may take a month or so depending in her socialization level and how ,any new experiences she's had and how long it takes to adjust. Pretty soon when you day time to go to grandmas the dog will be exiting at the door wanting to go, no separation anxierpty.

When you wave her, reassure her you will be back, but don't user fuss over her. I usually tell my dogs, be good, have fun, I'll be back later today and simply leave. At first they tan for the window and whined, but I came back every time I dropped them off, praised them and made a fuss of how good they were. Usually about two weeks into it they were in their new routines.

If you don't fuss over the dog and worry about her anxiety etc or really

care what happens, you can have a sog that ends up suffering from separation anxiety or later. Down the road behavioral issued , fear of windy days, storm phobias, running having blind terrors running into doors, eindoed etc every time one of het family leaves the room (in bad cases). It's better to train the dog and acclimate it especially this late in life. Making sure the dog doesn't go nuts isn't over fussing, not going to work would be.

Too many prope eould simply shove Fido out in the yard, lock it in the bedroom or basement and just think all will be fine, they don't stop and think hoe hard it is on the dog . Imagine living in one place your whole life then suddenly wake up in a new country, new language, new foods and customs... would you feel stressed out or confused or bewildered as to what to do, what happened and where did family and home go. That's how a schedule change can affects the dog.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

rnaybe you should get another dog for hirn to play with

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.