Insurance settlement check after personal injury?

in a nutshell: involved in accident sons and wife injured our healthcare paid everything less the co-pay s demand letters sent including ENTIRE amount billed by health providers question: after I receive my settlement check do they just pay the outstanding co-pay balance and I keep the rest? i.e ER visit was... show more in a nutshell:
involved in accident
sons and wife injured
our healthcare paid everything less the co-pay s
demand letters sent including ENTIRE amount billed by health providers

question:
after I receive my settlement check do they just pay the outstanding co-pay balance and I keep the rest?
i.e ER visit was around $4500, insurance paid all except $30 co pay... is only the 30 dollars coming out of the settlement? I dont see the logic in double paying the medical provider.
for example my sons medical bills only came to around 3800. Just ER and radiology. but their demand letter amounts were 25k each.
my wife medical bills and loss wages around 17k her demand letter is for 145k.

outstanding co-pay balances is roughly under 1k.. we have military insurance so co-pays are hella cheap

I do have an attorney working my case but my curiousity just got the best of me before I can call them tomorrow...