Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 8 months ago

Why AMD GPUs suck so much?

Favorite Answer

Kinda funny that you'd post this question hours before AMD announced their RX 5000 series Graphics cards. AMD claims the flagship 5000 series card will be 10% faster than the RTX 2070.

Zen 2 stole the show. The Ryzen 7 3800x is 2% to 3% faster than the Core i9-9900k and it's faster at a lower clock speed, while consuming a little over 100w, and it will be almost $100 bucks cheaper. So bad it is for Intel that about the time you asked this question, Intel shamefully announced a Core i9-9900ks which can do 5.0ghz on all cores. Reminds me of the Pentium 4 days. What's next, is Intel going to bribe Dell into selling more systems with Intel processors?

Cards like the Radeon VII, Vega 64, Vega 56 which aren't much of a gaming card in the first place, Polaris, and the Southern Islands cards like the 7000 series, R9 200 and 300 series use the GCN architecture which is built more for Compute uses than Gaming. If you paid attention to the Keynote address then you'd see that the RX 5000 series is using the newer RDNA architecture which is more power efficient in gaming than GCN is. GCN is the reason AMD cards are better than Nvidia with most Cryptocurrency mining algorithms or when the GPU is needed for it's parallel compute power. AMD cards are the obvious choice if you're using OpenCL software for research or simulations. GCN is too much like Nvidia's old Fermi series which were both built to be a Jack of all Trades but a Master of None.

The last time AMD clearly had a superior card was with the 5000 and 6000 series.

The other reason AMD cards suck is because AMD doesn't redistribute the wealth back fairly when it comes to R&D. AMD spends twice as much money on CPU development as they do on their GPU.

Other reasons the AMD RTG division sucks is because of poor leadership and personal problems within the RTG ranks. Some of the senior engineers who used to work for Radeon Technologies Group had Pipe dreams of AMD spinning off RTG into a separate company. Now those people work for Intel, on Intel's Hope experiment of creating a Desktop GPU. You do know that Intel hopes to bring a desktop GPU to the market around Summer of 2020, right?

• Fulano

I don't think they're bad... for the price I quite like them. There are a few that are crazy hot and burn power like crazy that I'd stay away from, but they make excellent budget cards.

I don't think they suck. I used to have an R9 380 that I used on my gaming PC for about 3 years and it had pretty good performance. I wasn't maxing out games at 4k 60 FPS, but It got the job done pretty well. I was able to run GTA V at 4k at around 50-60 FPS on mostly medium-high settings paired with an i5 7600k and 16 GB of RAM.

different design from Nvidia brand

Nvidia seems to run cooler and for some games, a bit faster. Also some game developers tune for Nvidia rather than AMD.

They don't. AMD are brilliant CPUs at least as good as Intel.