Why do some people park AWAY from the business they are visiting?

This is a question I've been pondering for anyone reading this who deliberately seeks parking spots that are relatively far away from the business you are visiting.

My personal logic when parking my car at a business i.e. Walmart, barber, etc, is to park as close to the front door as possible to minimize walking distance. On the other hand, after many years of "car watching" in various parking lots, I often see people park dozens of spaces away from the Walmart they need to get to when there are plenty of spaces closer to the door.

I get that a lot of people just don't care where they park as long as it's not a mile away, but I definitely see some people are very deliberate in their decision to park away from the business, i.e. driving across an empty Walgreens parking lot and parking in the far end spot.

So what reasons other than apathy could a person be avoiding a prime front spot? I've heard some specific theories, like they are trying to avoid getting their license plates on camera, but the vast majority of these people don't appear very shady to me at all.

Favorite Answer

Several reasons people intentionally park farther away from the door:

- walk for the exercise!

- less traffic when backing out/leaving

- less likely to get door-dings from careless people since fewer people are likely to park next to you

- more room to open doors wide to load up the car with purchases, or for passengers to get in/out.

• ibu guru

I like "pull-through" parking! No backing up into traffic. But you have to park where there's facing spaces so you can pull straight through.

It is hard to imagine you haven't figured this out but those people don't want other cars parked to either side of them to avoid car body damage from being hit by the doors of other cars.

In my town, when visiting a business that has no parking lot, I hate looking for a convenient spot and therefore I grab the first spot within a couple blocks. If you are asking if that is the only possible reason for someone to select a parking spot, there are others.

If I park far away.. Less likely that some asshole will park next to me and slam his doors into my car, less likely for shopping carts to get slammed into my car, etc.

It's because they want to get some exercise instead of being a lazy slug.

• John

I park further away for less accident risk and less aggravation. There are many more cars whipping around corners near the doors, and many more drivers who are willing to block traffic to wait for a space to open.

The accident risk reduction is especially true for me at a convenience store chain (named after a Native American word for a Canadian Goose) where I have had a number of near misses. I also was hit at one of those stores, by a woman who was backing up without looking. I could have avoided the accident by quickly reversing, but it was not safe to do so. Its better to have ones fender crumpled than to risk hitting a pedestrian. Despite me laying on the horn, she didn't stop until the crunch.

Some people like the exercise. When I worked at Wal-mart, 20+ years ago, I parked as far from the door as possible because it allowed me to park within 2 or 3 spaces of the same spot every day. That way I didn't have to remember where I parked any given day.

They don't want their cars to get damaged. Parking near the store, others will park near it, and possibly hit it. Also, near the store, there are lots of shopping carts that can hit it.

Farther from the store, there are fewer cars, and fewer shopping carts.

People chose parking spaces based on a variety of parameters. For example, women want visibility in case they are attacked. So they park under a light, away from taller vehicles. Lots of people avoid tight spaces, and their definition of "tight" might be ridiculous to you.

• James

maybe they need exercise, maybe they don't want their cars to get dinged and dented, maybe they are employees who must park away from the entrance to allow customers to park closer