Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 7 months ago

Don't know if I should attend holiday cookout tomorrow, please advise?

My neighbor invited me to a Memorial Day cookout tomorrow. The problem is his son is coming, and he has a big dog who bit me last year, I went to Urgent Care, got a tetanus shot, and they forced me to report it. The local authorities called me and I answers all their questions about the incident and they told me if the dog bites again the owner can be charged with a misdemeanor and go to jail. I told my Mom it's best with both don't go to the cookout because we shouldn't be involved if the dog bites one of us and his son is charged and arrested. In other words, we don't want to be the ones who would cause his son legal problems. My state has a one bite law.

The state is NY, anyone interested can Google "one bite law" NY, it's complicated to the explain here.

Dog was sitting on grass, I stood next to him and he bit me on leg, he was a German Shepherd puppy. It cost me $50 for Urgent Care, I never asked to be reimbursed for medical costs. I was forced to report it to get the tetanus shot.

• Edna

I'm sure the dog isn't going to specifically seek you out in group of people, in order to bite you again a year later. The dog doesn't even remember you.

What were you doing to the dog that caused it to bite you in the first place? A family's pet dog doesn't run up to somebody and bite him; not unless that person is teasing the dog or doing something else to provoke it.

You said that the dog was a German Shepard puppy when it bit you. You were sitting on the grass alongside it, and it bit you. Don't you realize that's what ALL puppies do? ... they bite! (regardless of their breed). A puppy will bite and chew on anything they see - a ball, a stick, your shoes, another dog, or you (and they can bite hard), but the puppy considers it playing. The puppy wasn't being mean or vicious when it bit you - it was trying to play with you.

That was one year ago. The puppy is a grown dog now, and its outgrown its young puppy "biting' behavior. If you don't bother it; it won't bother you.

This is purely up to you, but any guest has a reasonable expectation of safety when visiting anyone's home. They should be more aware of that, and know that anyone (whether you or someone else) is bitten by a dog that is being kept on their property, that victim can sue them for damages.

You need to stop taking the blame for having reported the incident, and realize that while things can happen with any dog, they should have taken responsibility for it once it had. You reported what happened- you did nothing to damage them. they also owed you for at minimum the medical costs. That doesn't mean there was any malice involved- but adults need to be responsible, as do dog owners.

Go to the cookout, with the very same expectation of safety you were due the first time. If you cannot be safe there, neither is anyone else.

• david

You should go. Unless they are complete fools, they will keep the dog locked away.

• *****

"Hey neighbor, is your son bringing his dog to the cookout again this year?". If yes, I wouldn't go.

Maybe he won't bring the dog this yr.

When you see the dog you may put out a fear pheromone that the dog can smell some distance a way.

You did not tell us what breed the dog is. Was your bite rather vicious or an accident? Where were you bit? What triggered the bite? What happened just before you were bit?

Go but stay away from the dog or ask if they can put the dog up cause of your previous experience with the dog.

I wouldn't go with this history. I believe the one bite States are Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Virginia and Wyoming.

How, specifically, is your State's law written?