Can a batter swing at a wild pitch on purpose, 0-2 or 1-2 count, if he knows he can reach first base?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Alan S
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Yes, of course. But I think it would be pretty impressive if the batter can think and make the decision to swing and miss on purpose that quickly. Wild pitches are pretty rare and I doubt that the batter thinks about it that much. They are more worried about protecting the plate and not striking out.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

fredbird of teh st louis cardinals raped me :-(

• 8 months ago

Not sure where you learned the rules of baseball but where I come from the batter is allowed to swing at any pitch.

Good luck predicting which pitch is going to get past the catcher and realizing it along with the situation in time to swing.

• 8 months ago

no. at 0-2 he must take a pitch.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

He can swing at the pitch as it comes to the plate but he can't swing after it passes the catcher.

• KaleyK
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Yes, a batter can intentionally swing at a wild pitch for the purpose of reaching first base. As Curtis pointed out, it's virtually impossible for the batter to know the pitch is going to be a wild pitch.

• 8 months ago

Sure, if he knew it was going to be a wild pitch. Nobody does. The batter is already committed to swinging before anybody knows it's going to be a wild pitch. Everything happens in a fraction of a second.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

No way.

• David
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Yes

• 8 months ago

Of course. He can swing at any pitch.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.