Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 7 months ago

My car is SORN, I have a front garden but it’s owned by the council, so is it classed as on the road and is it not allowed?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Neil
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It depends not on who owns the property, but rather on who has access.

If it is only used by members of your household, then it is OK from the DVLA point of view (although your landlord may have different rules - check your lease).

If it is a shared garden, used by two or more households (i.e. you share it with your neighbours), then that is classed as public from the DVLA's point of view, and the car must be taxed and insured.

• May
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

Yes. That is the road

• 7 months ago

from the dvla point of view it will be ok ..it your front garden and the public should have no access ...but the council may object ...if its sorn how are you gonna move to front garden legally?

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Probably not allowed but not all council rules are the same, so contact your local council. Many do not allow a SORN vehicle to be parked on public property, it should be garaged or parked on private property. If it gets towed you'll be in for a big expense so maybe you should just sell it. You might want to read this to avoid problems - https://www.opm.gov/information-management/privacy...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

If it's a private place, your car is off the road. If it's a place where the public have access, the car needs to be taxed.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Off road, but you must get permission from the council.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.