Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

1. Could one ever use this phrase: "Based off of..."

2. And is it correct to say:

'a point in the city' ,

(when we want to say any general place in the city, such as, the market, the shopping centre. the park, etc, etc.?)

2. Finally, does it any make sense to say:

"I sometimes feel short of words."

(And if is does, what do you understand by that?)

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Best Answer

1. One could, but it would not be correct. The expression is "based on."

2. No. You should say place, location, or sometimes landmark or monument.

3. Not usually. If you did, it would be sort of a play on the common phrases "short of breath" or "short of money." Depending on the context, it would be more common to say "Sometimes there are gaps in my vocabulary" or "I have no words to describe that" or "I'm speechless / dumbfounded / dumbstruck."

• 6 months ago

Many people say 'based off of', but it is a reliable indicator of general illiteracy. Correct English demands 'based ON'. If you think about it, a base is at the bottom of something. Therefore anything using it must be based ON it.

A 'point' in the city isn't wrong, but a native speaker would say 'place' or 'location'. "Where do you want to meet?" - "Oh, I don't care: somewhere in the city, I suppose."

I'm not sure what you mean by 'I sometimes feel short of words'.

Do you mean that A, sometimes you can't find the right words to express your meaning, or that B, you are so angry or so happy that you can't speak?

A: "Sometimes the right word/s won't come."

B: "Words fail me!" "I'm simply at a loss for words!"

• 6 months ago

"based on..." is the usual phrase. By the way, never use "off of", just use "off".

I wouldn't use "point" in that way. A place in the city, a spot in the city, an area in the city are all OK.

A common expression when you are so exasperated that you cannot put it into words is "Words fail me!"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.