Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 11 months ago

My [40M] son [14M] is getting bullied in school. How can I help him?

My son has been dealing with bullying issues all throughout middle school. He has told me, "People call me names, they tease me, they've thrown things at me, they've physically hurt me, etc." I brought the bullying issue to his teachers and the school's attention, but they've done little to nothing to try to help him. I've tried putting him in a new school, but the bullying problem followed him.

The school year is almost over, and he will be starting high school in the fall. He's looking forward to a fresh start, but he's worried that the bullying will still occcur in high school.

I hate that he is going through this. I'm not sure what I can do to help him stop being bullied.

What can I do?

Favorite Answer

People who are feeling confident and secure and have self respect don't feel a need to call people names, criticise, bully, shout, etc.

Here are some thoughts I offer to people who are bullied. Bullies want attention, and my general feelings are that if people allow them to get their way through fear (the ultimate emotional reaction) they are succeeding and will continue. One way to combat verbal bullying is not to ignore them completely as this shows that they are getting to you, but demonstrate that you have heard the remark or whatever with a glance, dismissive wave or brief response ("oh yes", or similar) and THEN ignore them. Why should you care what such a pathetic person thinks of you? (Only weak and needy people feel a need to bully). Alternatively, or in addition, try to use some humour (U.K. spellings!). It need not be mocking humour, but some light-hearted banter can often diffuse situations.

Put on an imaginary suit of golden armour, and visualise the unkind remarks (or those you perceive to be unkind - be very careful not to imagine a slight when none is intended) as arrows, harmlessly bouncing off your armour and falling to the ground.

If the abuse is physical, you could join a martial arts or self defence class. Or even check out some moves on Youtube. Learn to defend yourself without retaliating.

• Kieth

Get a lawyer and sue the school for not enforcing their state mandated anti bullying policy.

i would talk to the police about it, they'll put an end to it

You could try to teach him how to not be a victim. Teach him how to ignore people who try to tease him. I mean literally practice at home. Make him understand that by reacting to the teasing he is inviting more abuse. Another strategy is to agree with his bullies. When they try to tease him they are looking for a negative reaction, but if they get a positive reaction it isn't fun for the bully and bullies exist to fill the void in their own insecurity by making others feel worse than they do inside about themselves. When the victim reacts positively, and laughs at the jokes they try to make about him they deny the bullies exactly what they are seeking. You can't argue with someone who agrees with everything you say.

• David

Change his identity and maybe some plastic surgery.

Boxing lessons