Siriuxx asked in PetsCats · 7 months ago

Yet another cat?

So my girlfriend and I have two cats, brothers about 2 years old. They are very sweet and affectionate and excellent companions with one another.

Well today we went to one of those cat cafes where you get to play with kittens and all the money goes towards donations. As we were sitting, a two month old kitten comes up and plops himself in my lap. He curls up in the crook of my elbow and starts licking me. As if that wasn’t a sign, ten minutes later he does the same to my girlfriend. So we put a 24 hour hold on him as we are trying to decide on adoption.

Our concern is... well concerns. We are wondering if it could cause issues with our other two cats. We have heard about stress or bugs or whatever being transferred from one cat to another. The kitten has already been fixed, had his shots and been dewormed. But we are still wondering if we should be legitimately concerned.

Any advice? It’s. a 24 hour hold so the clocks ticking and we could use any advice quickly!

Stupid idea. Which being cat people I'm sure you'll get a kitten with 2 adult cats. You deserve what you get.

If this little kitten chose you, I'd say you need to adopt it. It says a lot about a person if the cat chooses you. The 3 cats will be fine together. I had 2 cats for years and then all of the sudden I found 2 kittens on my doorstep. Both of my cats took to them great and they actually played the parents to the kittens.

I love cats they are grand paddy tats

• Ocimom

Why not? As long as your adult cats are neutered, there is no reason not to bring home a kitten. Just do slow introduction. Males tend to accept kittens fairly quickly but expect some hissing and growling. Also be sure everyone's nails are kept trimmed.

• PAMELA

2 cats are enough, and it may well disrupt the peaceful time you have with the other cats, leave it where it is.

It's not really a "sign" it's just what kittens do. I doubt you were the first person that it's been affectionate to.

Can you AFFORD three cats?

Are your current cats fed a quality, grain free food made with real meat?

Do you give them quality canned food daily?

Are they altered and up to date on shots?

When they get sick do you take them to a vet?

Where you live are you ALLOWED three cats?

• ZotsRule

LOL thought that you think this kitten hasn't interacted with ANYONE ELSE like this at the cat cafe. You are all full of yourself.

You are being very sensible, why not ask if you can let your cats meet the kitten in your home, then if they don't get on you can just return the kitten.

• ZotsRule

Why would you feel terrible? If your cats don't like the kitten it'd be TERRIBLE and selfish of you to keep it!

Another cat might fit in just fine. Or it might not. You can't tell ahead of time. Cats do not naturally live with other cats unless they were born into the same family. It's entirely possible that your existing cats will see a new cat as an interloper and make his life miserable and the fact that there are two of them who already have a good relationship could mean they gang up on the new guy. Or maybe the new guy decides to get tough on the other cats in order to assert his place. I have had that happen with my cats. The victim cat needed many months of psychotropic medication to be able to learn to ignore the aggressor cat. The more cats you have, the more likely you are to run into that kind of thing. Medical issues are not what I'd worry about. They can be fixed, usually fairly simply. Mental/emotional issues are much more difficult.

I have always had good luck introducing kittens into a home with established adult cats. The real issue is trying to introduce an adult cat into a home with other adult cats. (I don't recommend adopting adult cats when you already have adult cats.)

Since this is a kitten, try it. Don't force the introduction with the other cats. Bring the kitten in and let the kitten explore while watching the kitten and the other cats carefully. If there is any sign of aggression from the older cats, then keep the kitten in a different room anytime you are not home to monitor them. The cats will adjust to each other by sniffing and interactions "under the door" of the room the kitten is in.

Also - cats will defend their favorite places in the home. I have two adult females that are 11 and 12 and they will still "fight" over a certain chair in the house. They never actually hurt each other. They just establish which one is boss and that one gets the chair. (the younger one was brought in at three months old and the older one treated her like she was her own kitten for a few months)

• mokrie

The cat is apparently in good health so that should not be a worry. The real worry is cats are not like dogs. Dogs love company of other dogs. Cats do not. Cats feel their territory is being invaded and can get very angry at any new cat, even a kitten that dares to try to take over their home and humans. I am not advising you give up, I'm just telling you there will be a period of adjustment where the kitten is probably slapped for coming to close to the others or for daring to take the favorite chair or pillow. In a couple of months they will adjust and get used to the new cat but be ready to comfort the kitten AND comfort the other 2 when they look depressed or left out. If you can do this and stay around while the couple of months go by then take the kitten home.

• Siriuxx7 months agoReport

Well my girlfriend is a teacher who will be off for the summer in 3 weeks, so if we can ease the transition until then I think it would be fine